• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Something that Confuses the Terminator From the Future

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm not a native English speaker and very often I come across English phrases in movies that I cannot understand from a dictionary. Here it is

From the TV program Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2xL-U18yFU

There are 2 phrases I dont understand:

1. It's tight.

What does tight here mean?

2. Bitch whore much

ok, I know 'bitch whore'. But, what does 'much' here mean?

Master Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

Alec Lee wrote:What does tight here mean?

It's kind of a synonym for "good". Or maybe "attractive". Probably not a term you want to use yourself, because (a) the original derivation is sexual, and (b) it's the sort of slang that, by the time you and I have heard about it, kids have moved on to some new and different word.

Alec Lee wrote:2. Bitch whore much

ok, I know 'bitch whore'. But, what does 'much' here mean?

There's a general construct "X much?", where X can be any phrase, and "X much?" means "Do you do [X] very often?" Or replace "do" with "act like" or "act like a person who", or something similar. Usually X is something bad, and "X much?" implies that the person being spoken to has just demonstrated that they do, indeed, do X.

In this example, X is "bitch whore". Which is a slang way of saying "act like a bitch", which is further slang for act like a person the speaker considers bad/evil/whatever. You can translate the whole phrase as "gosh, you're acting like a jerk". Except no trendy young person would ever say that nowadays. They would instead use whatever trendy slang phrase has since come along to replace "bitch whore much".

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic