• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

SWT: how do differ between single and double click?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
hello
i have a problem with the mouse selection in a tree. i can add a single and double click listener to the three with no problem. the problem i have is that when i double click an item it runs through both listener. Through the mouse down listener twice (first event with one click, second event with count = 2) and then again through the double click listener. However I want to execute different actions depending on the clicks, but since there seems to be always a single click involved this makes it kinda impossible. Is there a way to differ between the clicks, so that the mouse down (single click) listener only reacts when the user really clicked just once?

Thanks

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
And how would you know the first click from a 'series of clicks'? You cannot. You simply have to wait if further clicks happen. When there's only one click in a span of time it's a single click. When there're more than one click in that time span, it's a not-single-click. Are you sure you need both actions (click and double-click) in the way you described?

Bartender
Android Google Web Toolkit Mac Eclipse IDE Ubuntu Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have never worked on SWT, but in Swing you got a method called MouseEvent#getClickCount() which is used to identify double clicks. You might want to check for something similar in SWT.

Greenhorn
Eclipse IDE Ubuntu Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Like mentioned, you have to handle single *and* double clicks. In most applications, double-clicking on something is an extension of single-clicking on that same thing, so it usually ends up okay. Here's some code:

Then of course you need to install the handler...

Sheriff
Eclipse IDE Spring VI Editor Chrome Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello Dave,

thanks for the input, but I think you missed the "SWT" part. In Swing/AWT this is indeed the way to go.

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I encoutered similar issue last time. Although, MouseEvent has count property, the SWT.MouseDown event is always called first before the SWT.MouseDoubleClick. So the workaround is to wait till the SWT.MouseDoubleClick has been fired, then check the flag which event was fired. The code is something like below.

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Welcome to the Ranch Mason Wardle

You cannot delete posts, but I can.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic