• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Okay, but......

village idiot
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Even if I put the individual data from videos into an ArrayList and pass it to the jsp as an attribute, printing it out to the table cells in the jsp would still require iterating through the ArrayList using scriplets and expressions, would it not? Except it seems that the data is now just a long list of Strings instead of members of VideoData, which might be less clear. Is there a way to put all of the logic for populating the cells of the table in the servlet class and call this method from the jsp?

Carol Murphy
village idiot
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Okay, I've had a few beers. Here's a thought, powered by Coors; what if I created the entire table in the servlet class, and passed that as an attribute to the jsp? But then I remember reading somewhere that a bunch of html in java code was coyote ugly..........or was it the other way round?

Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It seems to me that a few <tr>'s and <td>'s in the servlet are better than scriplets in the jsp.

Carol Murphy
village idiot
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Should the solution involve use of EL? I am struggling with trying to put all of the logic involved with iterating through the ArrayList and printing the data in the appropriate cell of the table into the servlet class. If I write a method that has out.print() stuff in it for printing the table data, I don't know how to call the method from the JSP, and if I don't write a method that prints out the data to the table in the servlet class, I can't see how to avoid doing a for loop in the jsp to iterate through the table data. Obviously, there's something I'm not seeing here.

Marilyn de Queiroz
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Carol Murphy:
Should the solution involve use of EL?

No.

What if you iterate through the loop in the servlet and create a String which you then forward to the jsp.

Wanderer
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
[MdQ]: No.

No of course not Carol - don't be silly. That would be too modern. Think 20th century technology. What year do you think this is, 2006? :roll: After all, the system must be maintainable if you're caught in a time vortex and thrown back to 1996.
[ May 24, 2006: Message edited by: Jim Yingst ]

Carol Murphy
village idiot
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Marilyn de Queiroz:

What if you iterate through the loop in the servlet and create a String which you then forward to the jsp.

That String would be obscenely long, wouldn't it?

Carol Murphy
village idiot
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Jim Yingst:
[MdQ]: No.

No of course not Carol - don't be silly. That would be too modern. Think 20th century technology. What year do you think this is, 2006? :roll: After all, the system must be maintainable if you're caught in a time vortex and thrown back to 1996.

[ May 24, 2006: Message edited by: Jim Yingst ]

Wait, it's not 1996? Then I'm sure I'm late for something!

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic