• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

some questions...

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello everyone. I want to say a thanks in advance to anyone taking the time to help me out,appreciate it.
I am a total java-noob, so i would suggest that anyone who tries to give me some answers has a great deal of patience :p I thank you for that too.
Off to the questions then. Ive studied 9 months pascal (!), and 11 months C and had a few visual basic lessons,so the first question i need to ask is: what on earth is up with java?
i don't understand the lack of its own "program platform" which would include text editor,compiler,debugger, preferences editor(like,i dont know,path setting?) etc? Whats with using a text editor,
which in my case is (im ashamed to say so) wordpad,aka "spam tab"pad? I started learning the basics of java, code,differences with C etc,when i realise im at point 0, since i have absolutely no idea how to even set up the basics. How to set up the \bin path,how to compile, what am i going to do with my ,erm,primitive wordpad text editor etc.
I understand that what im asking is a getting started guide, but most of all i need to understand why this language is the way it is...

Bartender
Netbeans IDE Opera Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

chester Man wrote:I understand that what im asking is a getting started guide.

Here you go
http://download-llnw.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/

And welcome to the Ranch!

Timos Mann
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
darryl,your speed impressed me. And i'm not impressed easily :p Thanks bro

Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I don't really know what you mean by "why this language is the way it is". The only thing I can really make out is that you don't know about an IDE to use for it, but that scarcely has to do with the language.

Take a look at NetBeans. This is a great example of a "program platform" as you call it.
However, I would first recommend you read the tutorials. They should answer most of your questions.

[EDIT]

Hah wow I'm slow.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic