• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

use a virtualhost with a uri?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Forgive me for posting in the tomcat forum. If anyone has good recommendations on an apache web forum, I'll gladly post there instead, but so far I'm having good luck here

I have a wordpress blog that I am installing on a webserver in the dmz. I have a load balancer in front of it that will proxy to the webserver essentially. However, the trick is the blog needs to be accessed via www.domain.com/somestring but the blog will actually be living at blog3.domain.com. There's also blog1 and blog2.domain.com living on the same server.

Typically what I would do on the load balancer side is say something like if uri = /somestring then send/proxy to pool blogwebservers(label for the pool of blog webservers).

However, since the deal is, they want to keep everything as www.domain.com/somestring, and not have it actually redirect... I'm not sure how I will be able to tell the webservers (set up with 3 virtual hosts for each blogX) that when uri=/somestring then send to virtualhost blog3.domain.com without having it actually redirect.

Is there any way to possibly set a virtual host to include a uri? As I write this, I'm suspecting it may be more of a load balancer specific issue since that is causing the complexity since I need to retain the non blog domain/uri.

I think one alternative may be to have this specific blog listen on a different port (like 81) and then just send everything that matches /somestring to that new pool.

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
A host is a host. The URI isn't part of the host identity. Neither, for that matter is the port ID, strictly speaking.

I think your best approach is to use mod_proxy to tunnel the URLs of interest to the target host.

We do limited Apache http advice here, since it's kind of attached to Tomcat. For that matter we do (very) limited IIS advice here. For more in-depth apache stuff, I'd probably go to linuxquestions.org, but there are other forums as well.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic