• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Java for Android

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
It has been a few years since I have practiced java...I bought an android platform phone because it sounded quite exciting to be able to write programs for the phone instead of the iphone that I thought I would have purchased...now I have to get refreshed and reacquaint myself with everything again. It sounds like this book might be a great place to start. It seems as if I have this desire to learn yet get caught up with where to start because there are so many choices, and so much time has passed since I have looked at java and anything related. I do however still have some outdated books from around 2001. Has much changed since then or is it relatively close?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Angela

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Angela,

Java has seen alot of growth since 2001. New language features such as generics and enums have emerged. Also, new APIs such as the concurrency utilities have been added.

Android's Java libraries are based on Java version 5.0/1.5 and include many of this version's APIs -- I investigate many of these APIs in my book. However, because of book-length and time limitations, I was unable to cover the important topics of networking, XML, new I/O, security, SQLite/JDBC, and a few other items. However, I will be covering these items in six PDF-based chapters (11 through 16) that I'll make available for download from my website in the coming months.

I believe that my book will give you solid and accurate coverage of the Java language and foundational APIs (such as reflection, the Collections Framework, regular expressions, and streams). Once you finish this book, I believe that you'll find it much easier to work with Java.

All the best.

Jeff

Angela Royal
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Jeff,

Thank you so much for responding so quickly.

I was just checking out my collection of books and I have Java 2. I guess I have been in the dark for quite a while.

I am excited to see all the new developments over the years that I have unfortunately missed out on. I've been wanting to dive deep into it for quite a while now....

The information that you have jam packed into your book sounds incredible, I can't wait to read it and put the wheels in motion again.

Angela

Everybody! Do the Funky Monkey! Like this tiny ad!
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic