• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Java, Flex and Android

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Jeff,

I have some Java experience (SCJP), and am currently working as a Adobe Flex developer and doing a Masters in Computer Science. I am hoping to do a thesis/independent study project next spring based on mixing Java and Flex in the Android 2.2 OS. Have you had any experience with the Flex side of things, and is it advantageous as a frontend over other options?

Thanks for helping the forum,
Rory

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Rory,

I have not worked with Adobe Flex so I can't address this issue. However, I believe that it is possible to combine Flex with Java on Android 2.2. In his Inside the Android Application Framework video, Google's Dan Morrill suggests that it's possible to run more than Java on the Android platform.

At the moment, I'm swamped with writing a book on Android and doing some additional work with HTML 5. However, when time permits, I'm planning to add resources to my website on the Dalvik virtual machine, its instruction set (which is not a Java virtual machine instruction set), the .dex format, and more. I'm interested in running C++ and other language-based programs on Android, and hopefully these resources will help you with your own project.

All the best.

Jeff

Rory Thomas
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Jeff, I'll keep an eye out on your site for updates, and check out that video. I look forward to trying it out!

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic