• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Use Case Modeling

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I'm trying to model a system for e-procurement (request for buying goods, purchase orders, receiving and invoice verification).

I'm in the middle of drawing the use cases. I have drawn my primary use cases and I'm refining the first one.

The first use case is about this statement :

A person in the company is a member of a team that execute projects. For the execution of a specific project that person need to buy a specific amount of goods. To be able to do that they select in the application one or several items from a catalog referencing products and suppliers. They select all the products they need and insert them into a request. The request has to be validated by a supervisor before it is sent to the buyings department. The validation information is present in the project management system (which is external to the application I'm supposed to make).

This is the use case I came with

Can anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Looks pretty good, but your Project Mgt System (or whatever) is an Actor to your primary Use-Case, right?

Also, I personally avoid <<included>> Use-Cases because it often leads people into "functional decomposition", although your use looks okay.

TomTees

Tom Tees
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Tadili Saad wrote:Hi,

I'm trying to model a system for e-procurement (request for buying goods, purchase orders, receiving and invoice verification).

I'm in the middle of drawing the use cases. I have drawn my primary use cases and I'm refining the first one.

The first use case is about this statement :

A person in the company is a member of a team that execute projects. For the execution of a specific project that person need to buy a specific amount of goods. To be able to do that they select in the application one or several items from a catalog referencing products and suppliers. They select all the products they need and insert them into a request. The request has to be validated by a supervisor before it is sent to the buyings department. The validation information is present in the project management system (which is external to the application I'm supposed to make).

This is the use case I came with

Can anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you.

Some more thoughts...

What about "Catalog"??

Where is your "Buying Dept"??

Also, make sure you are modeling "Actors" and not People or Job Titles.

TomTees

Tadili Saad
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Tom Tees wrote:Looks pretty good, but your Project Mgt System (or whatever) is an Actor to your primary Use-Case, right?

Also, I personally avoid <<included>> Use-Cases because it often leads people into "functional decomposition", although your use looks okay.

TomTees

Hi,

Actullay the validate use case needs to connect to the project management system to be able to do its jobs (the communication is one way and the projet management system is not part of the application I'm supposed to make).

I also removed the validate use case (I added it later after the writing of a narrative for the buy(select) use case, meaning this is a new use case that participate in the buy(select) use case realisation).

Tadili Saad
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Tom Tees wrote:

Some more thoughts...

What about "Catalog"??

Where is your "Buying Dept"??

Also, make sure you are modeling "Actors" and not People or Job Titles.

TomTees

The catalog will be and object managed by the system.

The buying dept is an actor of another use case (I just didn't include all the primary uses cases in the diagram I posted for clarity).

Thanks

Do not set lab on fire. Or this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic