• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

"Camel in Action" question

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Authors!

Congrats on just released book.

I'm glad to have a chance of asking you these questions, as I'm right after quite absorbing lecture about SOA and integration/adoption of some really heavy, big, demanding and very distributed environment. I believe it's a plan for next years. There was listed some options during the lecture for tools to support the apporach. There was a Camel on the list as well. I'm just wondering, which of SOA principles/layers Camel supports for sure, and which it doesn't?
If it doesn't any of them, what kind of frameworks/approaches would you recommend to fill the gap and tie it with Camel to have effective SOA - it is OK if you write here: it is in the book?
Is domain controlling and business orchestrating coverd by Camel? It probably is, if so, how?

And last one: What is interesting in your book for guys (let's call them: newbies) working on real SOA?

Thanks. All the best.
Cheers.

author
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I'm glad to have a chance of asking you these questions, as I'm right after quite absorbing lecture about SOA and integration/adoption of some really heavy, big, demanding and very distributed environment. I believe it's a plan for next years. There was listed some options during the lecture for tools to support the apporach. There was a Camel on the list as well. I'm just wondering, which of SOA principles/layers Camel supports for sure, and which it doesn't? If it doesn't any of them, what kind of frameworks/approaches would you recommend to fill the gap and tie it with Camel to have effective SOA - it is OK if you write here: it is in the book? Is domain controlling and business orchestrating coverd by Camel? It probably is, if so, how?

This could be a very long answer as the defintion of what SOA is typically varies based on whom you talk to or what book you are reading Camel is definitely designed from the ground up to be used in SOA style integration projects. It is, after all, all about messaging and SOA is mostly about breaking applications down into services which are accessed using messaging.

One particular thing that Camel does not support out of the box and is typical in enterprise applications is clustering. Camel is just an integration frawework and you will need to do some special set up and deploy it into a container like and ESB or Message broker (ex. ServiceMix & ActiveMQ) that supports clustering to get this.

And last one: What is interesting in your book for guys (let's call them: newbies) working on real SOA?

For new developers, you should definitely read the first part of the book (ch 1 & 2) and then you can dive into accessing various services (JAX-WS web services, JMS providers, DBs, raw TCP, etc) so you can see Camel interacting with real things. Chapter 8 also covers more complex Enterprise Integration Patterns that are very useful when building out integration apps.

Cheers,
Jon

Piotr Kiraga
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for your reply. I'll try to have a look into the book.

Thanks again.
Cheers.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic