• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Eclipse SVN checkout

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi everyone,

Java greenhorn so bear with me,

I'm running eclipse with SVN. When checking out a project with the "check out as a project configured with the new project wizard" the default directory is 'WebContent'. Is there any way to change this to be 'web' by default? Only I have to change it every time, and if I forget the project doesn't copy correctly.

I've searched high and low for the answer!

Thanks.

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Welcome to the JavaRanch, Leo!

I tend to forget details like this, but basically you have 2 options:

1. Check out a project as simple source.

2. Check out a project as a previously-defined Eclipse project.

I believe you're doing option #2. This can only be done if the project was previously checked in with included ".project" and ".classpath" files as used by Eclipse. The Eclipse project isn't exactly the same thing as the svn "project" (subdirectory tree), but in most cases, they'll have the same name.

You can do option #1 if you prefer. Create a new, empty generic project with whatever name you want and then check out the SVN source into it. When you do that, the SVN copies of .project and .classpath files will import along with the Java source code, which magically makes the project into a Java project.

With either option, you can rename the Eclipse project without changing the project's physical directory name. Just right-click on the project root using the project explorer view, select refactor/rename off the menu. You may notice that the project name in the Eclipse navigator changes, but the SVN archive path displayed next to it does not.

Overall, however, it's usually a lot easier and less confusing to simply have the same name for both. Unless you're working on a branch or something like that.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic