• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Using MySQL for work and Cattledrive at same time?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have MySQL (GUI version) installed on my machine at work. I am developing an application in Visual Basic that eventually will replace a production app and it uses MySQL. I don't want to "mess up" the work database (it's not in production now). The app I'm developing begins by taking a MySQL dump from another database (from a Linux version of MySQL) and drops all existing tables and then rebuilds them with the dump.

Can all of this coexist together?

Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Matt Fry:
I have MySQL (GUI version) installed on my machine at work. I am developing an application in Visual Basic that eventually will replace a production app and it uses MySQL. I don't want to "mess up" the work database (it's not in production now). The app I'm developing begins by taking a MySQL dump from another database (from a Linux version of MySQL) and drops all existing tables and then rebuilds them with the dump.

Can all of this coexist together?

I'm not familiar with the GUI version, but mySQL can handle more than one database at a time. From what you say here, it sounds like you drop all the tables within one database. So as long as you create a different database for this project, it shouldn't be a problem.

Matt Fry
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for the reply, Marilyn!

So for JDBC assignment 1, can I just create the database, tables, etc using the GUI tools? The version I have has a "Command Line Client" I could use also although I've only used the GUI.

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Don't confuse the management client you use with the database. They are different things. No matter whether you use a GUI or a command line to manage things, the database is still the same. There's no "GUI version" of MySQL.

I have a MySQL database that I created and I am certain that I didn't type things at the command line to create tables. So I must have used a GUI to do it. (It's been a few years...)

arch rival
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
As Paul says, the GUI is just a convenience front end that effectively generates the command line to manipulate the database. You can access an MySQL database directly from Access via ODBC. But hey, wha's all this talk of the devils own programming toy Visual Basic?

Matt Fry
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for the advice Paul and Marcus. As far as the GUI stuff goes, I was more concerned with the JDBC-1 assignment. I understand the difference between the "management interface" and the actual database. But it seems that the version of MySQL I have installed doesn't work exactly like the instructions in the assignment list. I just assumed that that's what the command line client I mentioned was for and wanted to make sure I was doing everything correctly per the assignment list.
[ December 10, 2006: Message edited by: Matt Fry ]

Marilyn de Queiroz
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think I might see what the command line can do for you since the assignments are set up using the mySQL command line. Once your database and your tables are set up, the rest is handled more or less automagically using jdbc. But I would recommend getting familiar with the command line because there are situations where a gui is unavailable and it helps to have that experience under your belt.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic