• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Is Importing extending

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I tried to learn clearly about importing but now i am clearly confused what i am confused is that when i try to write as this it is working

Now my compiler is not producing any error but my doubt is if this is right my class is actually a subclass to class ArrayList .
which means it is no more a super class. And the other doubt is actually importing a class do mean that we are making our class a subclass to the imported class . Do post your comments

Ranch Hand
IntelliJ IDE Clojure Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

RajTilak Sivaluri wrote:
Now my compiler is not producing any error but my doubt is if this is right my class is actually a subclass to class ArrayList .
which means it is no more a super class

I don't get this sentence. If another class extends your class, then your class will be a super class to that extending class.

RajTilak Sivaluri wrote:
And the other doubt is actually importing a class do mean that we are making our class a subclass to the imported class . Do post your comments

Nope, import guides the compiler where to check the class which you've imported.

Abimaran Kugathasan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
And, Welcome to JavaRanch!

RajTilak Sivaluri
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Abimaran Kugathasan wrote:

RajTilak Sivaluri wrote:
which means it is no more a super class

I don't get this sentence. If another class extends your class, then your class will be a super class to that extending class.

RajTilak Sivaluri wrote:
And the other doubt is actually importing a class do mean that we are making our class a subclass to the imported class . Do post your comments

Nope, import guides the compiler where to check the class which you've imported.

What i was exactly saying was I created a class Myclass right !! but instead of using the import statement i extended the ArrayList class which i intended to use hence why why shouldn't i say that Myclass is a subclass to class ArrayList . Because i have done all the things to make it a subclass

RajTilak Sivaluri
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
And Yup Abhiram Thankyou

Bartender
IntelliJ IDE Oracle Spring Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Elaborating on Abimaran's reply to the second doubt:

In the code you have provided-

You must have observed that you never defined the class ArrayList in your source code, instead with the above syntax- java.util.ArrayList- you are using the ArrayList in the java.util package provided by the Java API. These java classes are organized in different packages depending on their functionality. There's another way as well to import the classes:

In the above code- you need not use java.util.ArrayList (which is called fully qualified name of the class) everytime you would want to refer to the ArrayList. Because the import you have used tells the compiler where to check for the ArrayList class.

Extending- is what makes one class super class of another/sub class of another class.

This is how you create a SubClass- SuperClass relationship (not considering Interfaces here as it might be confusing if you are starting with).

Also lets see a case where we are using importing and not Extending:

We can also use wildcard(*) in the import statement:

which indicates that you can be referring to any class from the package- java.util.

Abimaran Kugathasan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

RajTilak Sivaluri wrote:
What i was exactly saying was I created a class Myclass right !! but instead of using the import statement i extended the ArrayList class which i intended to use hence why why shouldn't i say that Myclass is a subclass to class ArrayList . Because i have done all the things to make it a subclass

I don't understand, what you've said above.

And My Name : Abimaran.

RajTilak Sivaluri
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Extending- is what makes one class super class of another/sub class of another class.

This exactly the answer which i am looking for

RajTilak Sivaluri
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you Mohammad Sanullah .

@Abhiram : next time when i post my query i will try to elaborate it clearly this was my first post so could not make it clear

Mohamed Sanaulla
Bartender
IntelliJ IDE Oracle Spring Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

RajTilak Sivaluri wrote:...@Abhiram : next time when ...

You got his name wrong again

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

mohamed sanaullah wrote: . . . You got his name wrong again

Thank you for noticing. It can cause a lot of annoyance when you copy somebody's name wrongly.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic