• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

How to generate Sequence Diagrams of java code with Microsift Visio 2007

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Redhat
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi ,

I am having Microsoft Visio 2007 with me .
How is it possible to generate a sequence Diagram by submiting some java code to it ??

Please suggest , thanks .

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ravi Kiran Va wrote:I am having Microsoft Visio 2007 with me . How is it possible to generate a sequence Diagram by submiting some java code to it ??

Ravi

I also use Visio for my UML. To the best of my knowledge Visio has no such feature. However, you could use the VBA in Visio to read and parse you Java files and produce the class images in Visio. I did this in Rational Rose many years ago so that I could read in Delphi (Pascal) code so that I could produce UML. Given how much work that was, I am personally happy to just create stuff on the fly in Visio.

Bartender
Netbeans IDE C++ Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Here is a list of reverse engineering articles, and languages supported by Visio's reverse engineer functionality:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/visio-help/CH010090256.aspx?CTT=97

Java is not in the list.

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I tried to use Visio to generate the UML diagrams for the Struts article I published way back when. It kept trying to force me into Visual Basic and I finally gave up on the UML support and drew them by vrute force.

There are several UML tools written in Java, but I don't know if any of them can reverse-engineer sequence diagrams. My sequence diagrams are usually pretty abstract, so I do them by hand. A blow-by-blow diagram would have too much extraneous detail, and would be nearly impossible to generate in cases where multiple clients and servers are conversing. Some of them might be external "black boxes" and some might not even be in Java.

Bartender
Android Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Spring Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Tim Holloway wrote:I tried to use Visio to generate the UML diagrams for the Struts article I published way back when. It kept trying to force me into Visual Basic and I finally gave up on the UML support and drew them by vrute force.

There are several UML tools written in Java, but I don't know if any of them can reverse-engineer sequence diagrams. My sequence diagrams are usually pretty abstract, so I do them by hand. A blow-by-blow diagram would have too much extraneous detail, and would be nearly impossible to generate in cases where multiple clients and servers are conversing. Some of them might be external "black boxes" and some might not even be in Java.

FYI,

Actually the visual paradigm suite can do this, but I do not have personal experience with it as it is definitely not cheap. I also can not comment on how it does what it does or if it can handle the abstract cases you speak of (I have my doubts) but if you are looking for a tool that can get you started it might be worth looking into.

Visual paradigm reverse engineering sequence diagram

Thanks,

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic