• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Tomcat5- how can I get the Initial Memory pool numers set on command line to show up in GUI tool?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
We use an ant task to install and start the tomcat5 service (using service.bat install tomcat5).

Once installed I run tomcat5w.bat (in \bat) to open up the GUI tool to view the properties of the installed service:

On the Java tab note I see "Initial memory pool", "Maximum memory pool" have no values set.

Without these values set, our web application blows up when I start clicking around (out of memory issue). When I set those two values by hand in the GUI tool - click Apply and restart the service our web app works fine!

My question is: How can I set these two values using the command line and NOT using the GUI tool? (because I want to get my ANT task to set these values...not a GUI tool)

I have tried on the command line: C:\apps\jakarta-tomcat\bin>tomcat5 //US//tomcat5 --JvmMx 1024 --JvnMx 1024

which is the command to update the service - but every time I open the GUI tool, it still shows these values as blank...

ideas?

Thanks!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Christos Maats wrote:
I have tried on the command line: C:\apps\jakarta-tomcat\bin>tomcat5 //US//tomcat5 --JvmMx 1024 --JvnMx 1024

What is JvnMx?

It should be something like

--JvmMs 1024 --JvmMx 1024

You could check http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/windows-service-howto.html

Christos Maats
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi thanks for your reply.

Yes, that was a typo - I meant JvmMs & JvmMx.

I have already looked at the link you posted weeks ago, and have tried a lot of combination of parameters with no success.

Basically I am looking to see if anyone out there can provide me the command line syntax (that they have tested!) that will manipulate the already installed Tomcat 5 service such that, after the command has executed, I can open up the GUI (tomcat5w.bat) that you can SEE the Values set on the Java tab: "Initial memory pool" & "Maximum memory pool" set to the values specified in the command line.

Thanks guys, I appreciate any help you can give me!

Christos Maats
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
can anyone figure this out and give me the answer as my Christmas present?

Misha Ver
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Most likely you have an issue with ANT configuration for tomcat installation or something is wrong in tomcat5w.bat file. By the way what is inside tomcat5w.bat file?

If you install Tomcat 5.5 service by running

This will display default memory values 128 and 256

This will change memory settings

Christos Maats
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Misha Ver wrote:... By the way what is inside tomcat5w.bat file?

I dont have a tomcat5w.bat file in my bin directory. Should I have one? I just have a tomcat5w.exe (for things that have the tomcat5w name on them)

Misha Ver wrote:
If you install Tomcat 5.5 service by running

Yes, this installs the service... I can see it in Services as "Apache Tomcat" it is set to Manual startup type

Misha Ver wrote:

No! Now I run tomcat5w.exe to bring up the GUI. Go to the Java tab...the values for Initial Mem and Maximum Mem are blank. There are no values.
Are you saying that when you click on your Java tab, you SEE the values of 128 and 256 at this stage???

Misha Ver wrote:
This will change memory settings

Tried this, then opened the GUI and still...do not see the new values where I am expecting to see them.

Thank you so much for helping me with this.

Misha Ver
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Christos Maats wrote:

Misha Ver wrote:... By the way what is inside tomcat5w.bat file?

I dont have a tomcat5w.bat file in my bin directory. Should I have one? I just have a tomcat5w.exe (for things that have the tomcat5w name on them)

From your first message

Christos Maats wrote:...
Once installed I run tomcat5w.bat (in \bat) to open up the GUI tool to view the properties of the installed service

Misha Ver
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Christos Maats wrote:

Misha Ver wrote:

No! Now I run tomcat5w.exe to bring up the GUI. Go to the Java tab...the values for Initial Mem and Maximum Mem are blank. There are no values.
Are you saying that when you click on your Java tab, you SEE the values of 128 and 256 at this stage???

Do you run "tomcat5w.exe" or "tomcat5w //ES//tomcat5" ? I see the values of 128 and 256 after running "tomcat5w //ES//tomcat5"

Christos Maats
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hey Misha,

If I run tomcat5w.exe or tomcat5w //ES//tomcat5 I still get no values at all when I select the Java tab.

Not sure what else to try.

Note to self: don't get into a fist fight with a cactus. Command this tiny ad to do it:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic