• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Design consideration between resource environment entries and application server process definition

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
The premises of this question is that I have URLs which changes based on the WAS installation box so I would like to hardcode the url as a property. I wanted to know which would be best between using properties file, system environment properties and resource environment entries.

I though that properties file would involve changing the source code for each environment. Resource environment entries on the other hand is too much work (Resource URL) and also it is exposed to the whole cluster and not that particular server.

I liked using the application server process definition since I only need to add an entry to
Application servers > server1 > Process Definition > Java Virtual Machine > Custom Properties
and this can be invoked by

Any thoughts ?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I generally prefer keeping such information in either property files OR defining them as Resource URL.

Property files are the most flexible way of handling it as you can change it using build scripts or manually.

Jay Abrahm
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Controlling it via the build makes sense and we were doing that earlier but somehow ever since I shifted it to the server properties I felt that was better since I could just tweak my server properties and all the ears running inside that cluster gets fixed instead of changing individual build scripts.

Not sure if this is the best but I felt it reduced a lot of effort when moving environments.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic