• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Problem of downloading and displaying a MOV file

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello, I did a small web app that can upload and download/display movie files. The web app runs on my notebook (64-bit Windows 7 Professional).

On my notebook, I installed QuickTime and I am able to view MOV movies. I can also view mpeg movies via Windows Media Player. When I upload a MOV file, I am able to go to the web app and to find the uploaded MOVE file and play it with QuickTime without any problem. The same goes for mpeg files. Here is the problem. The web app has an interface for downloading the uploaded movie files. On this interface, there is no problem of downloading mpeg files or opening it via Windows Media Player. However for MOV files, download always produces smaller files and viewing always fails.

This web app has no problem of uploading/downing Word or PDF files. For downloading MOV files, I verified many times to ensure the web app sends correct HTTP headers to a browser, including content type. I also noticed that for downloading MOV files, the web app is able to read full files. But why the download produces smaller files?

What could be the problem? Do I have to install extra software?

This is a big puzzle to me and did not find anything from Google.

Thanks very much for any help.

All the best.

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
So the uploaded file is byte for byte identical to the original file, but the downloaded file is not identical to the uploaded file? What code handles the download?

david zhang
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Lester, thanks so much for chiming in.

The download code is written in java and it is the part of the web app. It is the same code for downloading mpeg, MS Word, and PDF.

I repeatedly verified that when downloading via the web interface, the web app does read the entire file to send to a browser and the content type is right too for MOV file (video/quicktime)

Regards.

Lester Burnham
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm confused - earlier you said the downloaded file was smaller than the original, but now you've made sure that the web app sends the complete file? How did you do make sure of that?

Ranch Hand
Tomcat Server Notepad Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi David,
I was replying to this post and yours sounded relevant.

Are you able to post your java code to download? I'm sure you considered the other option I provided in the above link.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic