• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Ruby on Rails or the joy of instant feedback.

Ranch Hand
Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

I wrote a longer entry on my blog (http://lonelywolfsden.blogspot.com/2010/12/ruby-on-rails-or-beauty-of-instant.html) but as a Java developer I am positively impressed with the possibilities opened by Ruby on Rails.
I was trying to implement a complicated GWT +MAVEN + GAE application for a month and got lost in some configuration details. . so I just left the project in pieces on my SVN folder. A week before I had installed the sample depot application of Rails in Netbeans. Saturday morning I had started to create a new RoR application.
After just 24h I had managed to get something working and using it (personal pet project).
The key features of RoR for me :
1) Scaffolding
2) Instant feedback ( according to http://www.zeroturnaround.com/blog/java-ee-container-redeploy-restart-turnaround-report/ we loose 25% of our time just compiling and deploying ) which I think is crucial these days.
As an ex-PHP programmer I can say that Ruby(on Rails) has the power of Java (and the good software engineering approach) with the instant developer feedback of PHP (interpreted language development).
Would I architect a bank application with Ruby on Rails ? No .. I mean maybe the front end (web layer with JRuby at most).
Would I do anyhing I implemented in PHP before in Ruby ? Of course .. 1000 .times { puts 'yes'}
I am dissapointed that people on Javaranch do not write more on this forum but nevertheless I am happy to be writing here.

Now to ask a question : say I have created a model with a integer value like car.max_speed. How do I change it to float without regenerating the model ? The field in the DB is ok.

clojure forum advocate
Mac Objective C Clojure
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I wish if you asked your question immediately...

Ranch Hand
Python Ruby Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Mihai, you would refactor it.
Also, I don't that scaffolding is a major feature of ror. Apart from general CRUD pages for a Model, it doesn't do much. So, for any customization, you need to write your own implementation.

Mihai Lihatchi
Ranch Hand
Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well since I am such a noob .. I figure I might answer this.
All you need to do in these cases is to restart the development server (WebRick). Meanwhile I have managed to get my application going at a pretty good speed and I think that Ruby on Rails is great for small web applications.
Unfortunately I will stick to J2EE for really critical enterprise apps. Things like 2 phase commits and lack of standards deter me from considering RoR for more elaborate enterprise solutions .. for now.
But as I am sure most of you found out too it bring back the joy of programming a bit.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic