• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Need help fixing layout differences between IE and FireFox - Resolved

Ranch Hand
Postgres Database Flex Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am in the process of trying to get our newest release for a video sharing product done. On one of the screens (which is about 5 containers deep) I have a series of video posters that layout on the page with a 1-n navigation below the videos (the page displays 12 posters and then adds navigation if any feed exceeds 12 videos).

In my HTML wrapper, I have set dimensions for my SWF and have lined up the SWF with those dimensions. Whether in FireFox or IE, the parent container is positioned on screen where I expect it and there are no layout anomalies. However, the children of the parent differ depending on which browser I use. I have set the positions and the sizes of the containers in the AS3.0 code. Yet, the video posters I mentioned above will have the navigation below them in FireFox but it will be off the screen in IE. When the posters line up perfectly in FireFox, to get them to display properly in IE, I have to reduce their size which makes the FireFox rendering too small. I have no idea why one browser would have a different layout result than any other browser - especially since this is an SWF being sent down to the wrapper from Tomcat. Has anyone faced this and how do you fix it?

Given that this is many levels deep in my code and it is loaded in an HTML wrapper, I'm not sure what code to post here in case it is a coding problem. If more information is needed, please let me know. I can give you a link to the app to see what I'm talking about if you are interested and if you PM me. We're not yet ready to release it to the public domain otherwise - and problems like this keep us from doing so.

Best,
Al

Al Johnston
Ranch Hand
Postgres Database Flex Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Found it. Looks like Flex's auto-generated HTML wrapper overwrote my settings. Now that the main container settings are set, everything is laying out as expected.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic