• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Build types?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am currently using eclipse helios, JBoss 5, Struts 2.2.1.

I use IDE to run/stop JBoss, to publish Struts applications and I love this automated task. But I saw in many book that they prefer build process of Ant or more specifically say Maven. Why do they prefer it. What are the advantages of using maven over IDE. I am loving the way my IDE is doing for me. I just click run as- on server (specified) and IDE even opens browser in eclipse and show me the output.

I'm new to Web Application Development and want to know why experts prefer this.

And also I want to thank you Dave Newton, for a wonderful book on Struts 2 (Apache Struts 2 - Web Application Development) for easy to understand language and example everywhere and that too in a small sized book.

Thank you Dave.

Sheriff
Android Google Web Toolkit Hibernate IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
IDEs don't have any magical powers. They also use build scripts written in Ant/Mavan. IDEs have a standard build script that they provide you which you use without knowing. Custom build script gives you more control over the build process. Using IDE or custom build script both have their advantages and disadvantages...

Bartender
Mac OS X Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Vikas K Gupta wrote:
I'm new to Web Application Development and want to know why experts prefer this.

Build scripts are portable, repeatable and self-contained. IDE builds are not.
When I or one of my employees creates a project, there are 3 requirements: a README.txt file that describes the project and how to build it, a script to configure the environment and an Ant build file. That way, when I want to check her work, I just run the environment script and the Ant build.
I don't have to try to figure out which JAR file is in her IDE's path but not in mine. I don't have to track down some third-party JAR she wedged into the WAR before deploying. I don't have to futz with my IDE to get the deploy task to go to the correct server.
IDE's are great if one is just throwing something together for fun or educational purposes. For a production environment, it is essential that one has a build process.
And source control.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic