• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

combo box with checkboxes

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi All,

I need a suggestion here. I have a requirement in which I have a table which has 4 categories of data. And, I have to allow multiple category selection of data. Something like, my table has -
-------------------------------
Category1
Category1Data1
Category1Data2
Category1Data3

Category2
Category2Data1
Category2Data2
Category2Data3
Category2Data4

Category3
Category3Data1
Category3Data2
-------------------------------

Now, I want to allow selection of multiple categories of data. That is, if I have a checkbox which reads "Select all category 1 data", I need to select Category1Data1, Category1Data2 and Category1Data3 in the table. If I have a checkbox which reads "Select all category 3 data" , I need to select Category3Data1 and Category3Data2 in the table.

My question is, are there better ways to do this category selection instead of having multiple checkboxes?

Also, I read somewhere that I could have a combo box with checkboxes to indicate what has to be selected. But is that right? I thought combo boxes are typically used to select one among a list of things. If I have checkboxes for each of the categories in the dropdown of combo box, would that be wrong? Would that be violating UI paradigm?

Thanks,
Preethi

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

Now, I want to allow selection of multiple categories of data. That is, if I have a checkbox which reads "Select all category 1 data", I need to select Category1Data1, Category1Data2 and Category1Data3 in the table. If I have a checkbox which reads "Select all category 3 data" , I need to select Category3Data1 and Category3Data2 in the table.

I've seen this done as sub-checkboxes to a main checkbox, like in a directory tree or parent/child relationship. Select the main checkbox, and all sub-checkboxes are checked, perhaps invisibly; expand the main checkbox to show the sub-checkboxes, select/deselect some of the sub-checkboxes, and the main checkbox shows partially selected, usually indicated by graying the checkbox rather than checking it.

Also, I read somewhere that I could have a combo box with checkboxes to indicate what has to be selected. But is that right? I thought combo boxes are typically used to select one among a list of things. If I have checkboxes for each of the categories in the dropdown of combo box, would that be wrong? Would that be violating UI paradigm?

The combobox selections could be used to define the checkbox selections, as in "All Category 1," "All Category 2," etc. Then you could have a "Partial Category X" combobox item, or a shaded item to show when something less than an entire category is selected. I don't know that this would violate a UI paradigm, but it doesn't seem as intuitive as the main/sub checkbox design.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic