• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

After SCJP

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Fedora Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi friends..
I have done ocpjp certification and now I am planning to learn awt swt jsf jsp servelets struts ejb swings etc etc..
But I didn't know how to approach them..
I mean with which one should I started first and the which sequence should I follow on..
I inetrested in web as well as desktop applications.
Please gave me helpful and clear advice..

Thanks.

Sheriff
Android Google Web Toolkit Hibernate IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Anishashu please keep it down in the future, I've fixed your post this time...

Ankit Garg
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Anishashu, desktop development and web development are two completely different things. With web development, you should start with Servlets and JSP (you can use head first servlets and JSP book), then go for JSF, Struts, EJB, Spring or whatever you like. From what I know in desktop development, you'll first have to learn AWT-Swing then you can learn SWT...

Abhilash Sharma
Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Fedora Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Ankit..What you are saying is first i have to learn web development and only after than i can focus on desktop and JSP JSF, Struts, EJB, Spring all tenhniques of web development and for desktop there is awt and swing???

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you are stuck to decide between web and desktop then see what kind of work do you see in the future for you in your company.

You tend to forget if you don't use what you learn in the certification.

Even if you can't decide between the two then for the time go for web services or EJB certification which can be used in both web and desktop applications.

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

HI Anishashu ,

If you want to be in web or enterprise application domain you could probably go for SCWCD , SCBCD and then SCEA.

if you want to remain in Core Java development probably go for SCJD .

It all depends what's your work profile , what kind of job you will look in future and what kind of work you will do in future.

adding a certification just not as important as learning the design concept and different software methodologies and I would alwyas suggest that certification should be inline with current or future work you are going to do.

All the best.

Thanks
Javin

Ankit Garg
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Anishashu Sharma wrote:Thanks Ankit..What you are saying is first i have to learn web development and only after than i can focus on desktop and JSP JSF, Struts, EJB, Spring all tenhniques of web development and for desktop there is awt and swing???

Servlets and JSP are basic web development tools in Java. JSF, Struts EJB etc are more powerful but having knowledge of Servlets and JSP before learning any of these is required. Desktop development is completely different. It doesn't require any knowledge of web development. If you know basics of Java, you can learn desktop development...

Sunny Bhandari
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ankit Garg wrote:

Anishashu Sharma wrote:Thanks Ankit..What you are saying is first i have to learn web development and only after than i can focus on desktop and JSP JSF, Struts, EJB, Spring all tenhniques of web development and for desktop there is awt and swing???

Servlets and JSP are basic web development tools in Java. JSF, Struts EJB etc are more powerful but having knowledge of Servlets and JSP before learning any of these is required. Desktop development is completely different. It doesn't require any knowledge of web development. If you know basics of Java, you can learn desktop development...

Though EJB is usually linked with web development. But no one stops you from using EJB in a desktop application.
EJB is primarily for writing business logic and that is why I suggested SCBCD certification.

Abhilash Sharma
Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Fedora Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks friends for your valuable replies.Now i decided not to any further certification after my ocjp and i am goin to focus more on jsp and servelts..
Only one question which one of desktop or web or both have more job opportunities as today market trend specially in scenerio that one wants to do it in india and other want to go abroad says usa etc.personnaly i like both..so help in this

Sunny Bhandari
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Anishashu Sharma wrote:Thanks friends for your valuable replies.Now i decided not to any further certification after my ocjp and i am goin to focus more on jsp and servelts..
Only one question which one of desktop or web or both have more job opportunities as today market trend specially in scenerio that one wants to do it in india and other want to go abroad says usa etc.personnaly i like both..so help in this

Don't go on my words, do your research.

Search for jobs on monsterindia, naukri or timesjobs.

My experience is web applications are more in demand but again that is only till interviews and you never know what project will be assigned to you once you join a company.

If you are a fresher or have 3+ years of Java experience, you can PM me. There are some openings in my organization for Java/JEE professionals.

Abhilash Sharma
Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Fedora Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
can you describe what kind of web app can we make with java and also some desktop app.

Sunny Bhandari
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Anishashu Sharma wrote:can you describe what kind of web app can we make with java and also some desktop app.

If you have used irctc.co.in or HDFC netbanking then you have used a Java Web application.

irctc.co.in uses servlets/jsp/struts and tiles

SAP desktop based GUI is an example of Java desktop application.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic