• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Regarding Network Simulator in Java

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello Everyone,

I need to write a simulation program for interconnection networks using Java. Is there any network simulator available for this? or If I need write it from scratch, then where can I get basic information and some sample examples. I am a newbei in Java.

Please help me.
Thanking you in anticipation.

Bye

Sheriff
Eclipse IDE Spring VI Editor Chrome Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Welcome to the Ranch!

Bartender
Mac OS X Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You could start with the Java Networking Tutorial.
What do you mean by "simulate" a network? As far as Java is concerned, a network is a black box. We just have a connection to it (socket, RMI, URL and so on).
When I was in school, we had a project to simulate network conditions, like traffic and signal loss, in order to experiment with things like error detection and correction. Is this the kind of thing you are looking for?

Meenal Borkar
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Joe Ess wrote:You could start with the Java Networking Tutorial.
What do you mean by "simulate" a network? As far as Java is concerned, a network is a black box. We just have a connection to it (socket, RMI, URL and so on).
When I was in school, we had a project to simulate network conditions, like traffic and signal loss, in order to experiment with things like error detection and correction. Is this the kind of thing you are looking for?

Thanks Joe.
I am working on interconnection networks for multiprocessor systems. For this application, I have designed a network and a routing algorithm. Now I need to write a program, which will generate random source and destination pairs, and I need to watch are they routed correctly, what is the performance of the network, percentage of times the network works correctly, percentage of failure and collisions etc.
I do not know how to do it using Java.
Please suggest me something.
Thanks
Meenal

Ranch Hand
Mac MySQL Database Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes exactly for which you should have to have a good understanding on the associated terms like Socket, Port, IP address etc., and also how Java makes use of this to facilitate the users to get the devices connect to each other.

Typically java.net package contains all these classes.

By looking at your requirement, I am sure there may be things available. Just google around. You may find it. Don't reinvent the wheel by developing all these from scratch on your own when already it is available.

Few useful links I have found out by googling are given below (I have done 3 diff searches) :

1. http://www.davidreilly.com/java/java_network_programming/
2. Networking with Java
3. How to establish a connection using Java
4. http://www.faqs.org/faqs/computer-lang/java/network-programming/]http://www.faqs.org/faqs/computer-lang/java/network-programming/

Good luck

Joe Ess
Bartender
Mac OS X Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Meenal Borkar wrote:
I am working on interconnection networks for multiprocessor systems. For this application, l

Ah, so you are working on something like clustering?
The most basic task we programmers face is to take a complex problem and break it down into manageable pieces. You'll need to computers in the cluster to talk to each other, so start with the networking tutorial. It covers the basics of how to write a client and a server. Then look at your other requirements for individual functions you can tackle one-at-a-time.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic