• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

WS-Addressing?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
HI,
I appreciate that WS-Addressing means that some of the the things SOAP using HTTP for can be put in the SOAP header and hence a dependency to HTTP is removed.
Ok so say a SOAP message is going to a particular URL. Usually, the URL is in the HTTP request, not in the SOAP message - correct?

What WS Addressing does is allow us put the URL target in the actual SOAP Message - correct? Hence we don't rely on HTTP for this anymore.

But, can someone give me a example of a realistic business case where using WS-Addressing would make sense to use? And would not make sense i.e. would be overkill?

Thanks

Rancher
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

What WS Addressing does is allow us put the URL target in the actual SOAP Message - correct? Hence we don't rely on HTTP for this anymore.

Correct. Although HTTP -not knowing anything about its SOAP payload- still needs the URL as well, like it does for all requests.

But, can someone give me a example of a realistic business case where using WS-Addressing would make sense to use? And would not make sense i.e. would be overkill?

WS-A isn't something that a developer would generally use directly, but several other WS-* standards rely on it, notably WS-Security. A WSS message might contain something like this:

So in addition to the service URL (which some part of the SOAP processing pipeline might use), there's also a unique message identifier (important for WSS) and the SOAPAction attribute (which -being part of the SOAP header instead of a HTTP header like it used to be- is now also available to the full SOAP pipeline).

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi, I have a similar question here:
https://coderanch.com/t/543606/Web-Services/java/Endpoint-References-vs-Http-Request#2466567

It sure was nice of your sister to lend us her car. Let's show our appreciation by sharing this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic