• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Polymorphism! correct me if i am wrong.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
If i have a polymorphic reference to refer to a subtype object with an overriding method, the complier just checks whether the method is present in the super class or not.

But the JVM comes into picture while runtime and invokes the subtype method ( for which the object was actually created )

Now I see an example where the superclass method declares a checked exception in the method but the sub class method( overriding method) doesn't.
Now if the superclass reference is to refer the subtype object with the overriding method, I see a compiler error - unreported exception. Why is this..? Is it because the complier just checks for the "presence " of the method in the super class..?

I am confused..!

author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

It would actually help if you posted a small example -- as I (and maybe others) am not exactly following you.

Henry

Sanjana Sharma
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Example taken from K&B SCJP book.

Henry Wong
author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Oh I see what you are getting at.

Sanjana Sharma wrote:
Now I see an example where the superclass method declares a checked exception in the method but the sub class method( overriding method) doesn't.

This is perfectly legal, because throwing less exceptions doesn't mean that a subclass isn't IS-A super class. Maybe the subclass has error handling so doesn't need to throw that exception.

Sanjana Sharma wrote:
Now if the superclass reference is to refer the subtype object with the overriding method, I see a compiler error - unreported exception. Why is this..? Is it because the complier just checks for the "presence " of the method in the super class..?

Basically, there is a reason that you are using the super class reference right? Maybe you need to call code that doesn't know about the subclass. Regardless, it has to behave like the superclass. So, the compiler treats it as such..... Or you can say the compiler isn't smart enough.

Henry

Sanjana Sharma
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ok, i get it.

But if there was no exception declared at all..
The complier doesn't complaint right?

Here the overriding methods gets invoked ( JVM checks for the actual object type) ..

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic