• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Quick refresher.....

village idiot
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
On Servlets 4a, when I unzip the video.zip file, in
order to get each file in the proper place, should I unzip it to:
C:\Program Files\Java which is where I have my development directory, or should it be C:\Program Files\Java\videos

I forgot!

(Eventually I want to put everything directly off of C:\ but since XP wants to put everything in C:\Program Files and that's functioning for now, I'm going to wait until I have a good long block of time to devote to switching everything, cause I'm sure I'll mess something up when I try to do that! Right now it's just an extra annoyance to type that long directory name each time!)

Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I haven't forgotten you, Carol. Just been really, really busy. Hopefully this weekend will be a little more open.

Marilyn de Queiroz
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I can see when I type jar tvf:

so ...
the answer to your question is ...
you should unzip it in the directory you want build.xml to be in.

Whether you unzip it in C:\Java or C:\Java\videos is a matter of personal preference. I would probably choose to put it in the latter.

I'm a little surprised that you haven't encountered any difficulties with the C:\Program Files\... stuff. And ... XP needn't (and probably shouldn't) have any say in where your development directory is. Would you care to expound on that issue a bit more?

Carol Murphy
village idiot
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It is probably due to my inexperience with XP when I first installed the jdk, but I accepted the default location, not realising it was a directory off of C;\ named Program Files. This file is the one where XP puts all of the applications you can access from the start menu by default. There are more than a few little (but major) differences between win98 and XP.
I couldn't even find the program for opening a dos-window at first, because the location is in accessories on XP, and it was on the start menu in win 98.
So once I figured out that XP was putting all of my applications inside Program Files, I just added that to my classpath and path variables. The real hassle is in typing C:\Program Files\whatever each time instead of C:\whatever. The space HAS to be there, I found that out by trial and error. It's a little annoying, but since things are working as they should with the way it's set up, I don't want to change it right now.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic