• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

SCEA Sun's book Part2 example - WebServices VS. Web App in MVC pattern

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello!

I'd like to refer to Cade's book for preparation of the SCEA exam and also to the tackling of Part 2.
In the mentioned book there is an example for the JustBuildIt company. For the text that is given for the assignment one can infer that a web service application needs to be done. There is nothing in the requirements of the problem about the fact that a web application with presentation layer in the form of jsp's would be required.
My impression is that the proposed solution though is about how to build a web application in the MVC paradigm rather than how to solve the problem of the web services. Did anyone else have the same impression?
I'm wondering why it was proposed a solution with JSP's, Controllers, etc when the text of the problem does not require that? The solution presents jsp's on how to search for bids, orders etc, while from the text of the problem we can infer that the clients of the application will use web services and not jsp's.

Any comments on this will be highly appreciated, since my impression is that the same kind of confusion could exist in REAL Part2 assignments.

Thank you
With best regards,
Sorin

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sorin,
There has to be some sort of front end for the human users to post products, bid on availability notices and select winners. (The three use cases.) A web service means those screens could be in another system. But there's nothing in the scenario description to suggest that is the case either. And assuming another system does the bulk of the work trivializes the problem making it a risky part 2 strategy.

If you haven't seen the Cade & Sheil FAQ page, take a look before you start part 2. It lists the things people have found in the sample solution in the book that aren't advisable.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The solution is quite "unique" in the book. Class-diagram is front-end centric. Whole back-end is missing.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic