• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Career Future, Planning and Advancement

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi All !

I have been working as Java/J2EE Developer (Software Engineer) for 3 years, thinking about how should I progress in my career. Anyone have good suggestion on this? Maybe show a Path or Direction which is more clearly (e.g. programmer -> analyst -> lead -> manager)?

I feel tired to keep taking up new technical knowledge, and I know that in the future when I have my family and kids, I don't have the pleasure and time for keep on chasing on technical skills (I know I still need to update myself in future, but not so much on technical side)

Between, in my early year of study, I took accounting courses also with ACCA exam which done partially till the end of level 2. Most ppl said that this doesn't give me any advantage in my career. Anyway, how do you think? or how can I turn the knowledge into advantage to make my career moving better?

Thanks in advance !

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Accounting would be more helpful if you wanted to do business analysis than technology.

Lee Kian Giap
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Anyone have the experience changing from Java Developer to Business Analyst ?

I have 3 years of Java/J2EE development experience, recently join a company which told me in interview that I need to work few years in develop team to understand their business before I can move to Analysis and Design. However, when I started working, a fresh graduate with no working experience, who don't have skill in Java, was given the position on Analysis and Design. A bad feeling for me, feeling of how come I am not even competent to a fresh graduate ? I need 2 years ? and the fresh graduate don't need ?

Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You don't need Java experience to be a business analyst. You need exposure to the business. Maybe the graduate took different courses or did an internship. Or maybe the company changed their mind? Or the fresh graduate knew somebody so they decided to take a chance on him/her?

Lee Kian Giap
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Jeanne Boyarsky,

Thanks for your prompt reply !

I agree that Java experience have nothing much to do with Business Analyst. Without focus too much on the word Java, software development experience give a developer analytical skills which start from a user requirements prepared by SA, convert it into a design (this including database design), and deliver a working product. Just that normally a developer lack of experience in the starting portion of the SDLC which need to due with user/client/customer on gathering information and produce a detailed requirements, which need business understanding.

So, how can a fresh graduate from Information System know the business world without experience and exposure to any single industry? because of the course so called Information System put the candidate in advantage?

Well, I don't want to keep focus on comparing which will make me keep complaining. I just wish to know how to get a transfer in my career path.

I love a good mentalist. And so does this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic