• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Battery usage patterns

Bartender
Android Google Web Toolkit Mac Eclipse IDE Ubuntu Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Recently I noticed, my battery does not last more then 2-3 hours when not plugged in. When I got the Mac it was around 5 hours. Of course this is development usage, typically with Eclipse+Jetty+Browser+Airport+Adium+iTunes running.

I usually never shut down my Mac. Just close the lid. Also, it is plugged in round the clock except for maybe 5 hours daily. I googled around and got conflicting opinions on exactly how the charging patterns should be.
Any tips?
Also, it is Summer in India right now with temps going up to almost 35-38 C. Would it affect the charge?

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Apple recommend 'calibrating' the battery once a month or so by letting it run down completely before recharging. Other than that, I'm not sure how usage patterns or temperature affect battery life.

<aside>
It always amazes me how bad battery technology is in general. If battery tech had kept up with CPU tech, for example, we'd likely have dime-sized batteries that last a lifetime.
</aside>

Maneesh Godbole
Bartender
Android Google Web Toolkit Mac Eclipse IDE Ubuntu Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Bear. Will try recalibration.
I came across http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html which made me wonder about the temperature.

Ranch Hand
Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
don't plug it 24/7,

fully charge it then drain(5%), repeat this cycle always, this will exercise all cells of the battery and prolong its life.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I've found that the only way to keep my apple products from gaining a lousy battery that can die in only a few hours is to shut it down every few nights and let it restart and not plug it in when the battery is rediculously high (60% or more). My computer usually never gets that low due to frequent/constant usage during the day but it usually takes me 7-8 hours of usage for it to die. I would recommend bringing the brightness of the device all the way up or playing music off it or doing any other battery draining activity for the 30-60 minutes before you know it's going to charge just so that it starts it's charge as low as possible.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic