• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

"Tag as Version" and "Create Branch"

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all,

Could anyone tell me the difference between two actions "Tag as Version" and "Create Branch" when we use Eclipse to work with CVS server?

Thank you very much.

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Tag as version creates a tag. Create as branch creates a branch and optionally creates a tag.

I realize I use the words in the question to answer it, so a little more definition.
  • tag - just a label. A point you can reference later. (you can also create a branch from it later)
  • branch - a stream of development that you can write to. HEAD is a built in branch.
  •  
    Swerrgy Smith
    Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:Tag as version creates a tag. Create as branch creates a branch and optionally creates a tag.

I realize I use the words in the question to answer it, so a little more definition.

• tag - just a label. A point you can reference later. (you can also create a branch from it later)
  • branch - a stream of development that you can write to. HEAD is a built in branch.

• Hi, thank you for your reply.

If I am using HEAD version, then I create a tag called TAG_VERSION_1, then I create a branch called BRANCH1 and work on this branch for a while, then I choose "Team -> Switch to Another Branch or Version" and choose TAG_VERSION_1. After this final action I'll work work on HEAD or with BRANCH1?

Thank you.

Jeanne Boyarsky
    author & internet detective
    Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Neither. You will be working on a readonly static snapshot. if you try to commit at that point, it will complain that you are not pointing to a branch.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
      Bookmark Topic Watch Topic