• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Swing Best Practice

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am porting over a web app I wrote to Java Swing mainly as I am a hands on learner. I am wondering what is best practice and if I am on the right track most of the java I write currently are to make use of java's sockets (tying php into an windows inventory management soft) since php's sockets are terrible. Along with Android Dev

My app has a couple different parts

Admin (configuration,add users, view Admin reports etc)

Accounting (Reports, Authorizations, etc)

Shipping (Reports, Mark Packages shipped)

Now it How do you handle these different views in swing. Can I have a base view consisting of one jframe with a top toolbar (File,Returns,Accounting,Admin) Then when the user selects the Admin -> New User render the NewUserView? Login is required which I am handling with swingx and a custom LoginService utilizing mysql (since my web app db is already built)

Also the Main file how do you manage the changes between these parts in Android we use new Intent() I guess it would be handled by the commands for the toolbar??

Thanks for any pointers.

Eric

Ranch Hand
Mac Eclipse IDE Safari
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Eric,

Your question (like most of my own) is quite large in scope.

I wonder if you might consider looking at my application which is Swing based, uses toolbars, menu trees, internal frames etc and has the majority of the admin screens you mention.

It may not be up to the high level of design that many of the other people who frequent these pages could do for you - but it may help a little and you could copy what was useful.

It's all free to download from www.commander4j.com

I've not done anything with android yet - but I am supporting wireless scanners via a web page.

Dave
desktop.jpg
[Thumbnail for desktop.jpg]

Eric Haskins
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Dave,

Thanks alot!! I can read and read but it I come across so many ways to do things in Java I get bogged down. I have always been a learn by doing type so I will take a look. Great part is my app uses Barcodes for tracking Pharma Return (and items in the return) from the time they enter the building to the time they leave so +10 for your app :-)

Thanks
Eric

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Eric Haskins wrote:Dave,
I can read and read but it I come across so many ways to do things in Java I get bogged down. Eric

I'm so happy to learn that I'm not alone on this boat...information overload.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic