• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Assignment size of diagrams too big in html

Greenhorn
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Dear Ranchers,

I have the below questions with respect to Part -II.

1. I am using StarUML for all the diagrams. I could see the size of the diagrams comes really big if I see them in html with vertical and horizontal scroll bar. If I use width and height property for the image then it becomes little blurred and may be not clearly readable. I would like to know if there is any restruction like the html page should not have any scroll bars or size of the diagrams should not exceed some specific size? If you have any tips in reducing the size or something similar to make the html look better.

2. In StarUML I see the component diagram only supports the UML1.4 notation, is it Ok to use UML 1.4 specification or should we use only UML2.0 specification. I feel UML1.4 should be ok but I would like some feedback from some one experienced with this.

Thanks for the response in advance.

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Please refer to my blog - i have provided some tips to reduce the size of images without compromising on quality as well as resolution.
My assignment has a lot of diagrams but was still under 1.7 MB.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ranchers, feel free to correct me but I don't think there is any restriction on the size of the assignment. It could be even 10 MB if you could send it by email. The restriction is only for the type of contents (HTML) but not the size.

My sequence diagrams are really getting bigger and if one wants to provide sequence for every possible scenario, he might have more than 20 diagrams and size of an average diagram is about 180 KB.

I have the same issue but should I really be worried about it? I think, NO. I am going to send my 5 MB jar file. Please let me know if there are any issues here which I am not aware of. Also, if scroll bars covers your 30 to 40 of the contents, I think it's ok. It's happening in my assignment. It's hard to control even if you use ref in sequence diagrams.

Sharma Ashutosh
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Rajan,
Very first time when i saw a thread on size-i came to know size limit is 1 MB - when people have to upload the assignment.
Somebody from Oracle should intervene here and tell the size limit. When I was in Oracle-my email Id cannot accept the attachments more than 5 MB so i assume if you have to send the assignment as part email attachment - it should not go beyond 5 MB. But in case you are uploading it-it can go beyond 5 MB but i am not sure what is the size limit now?

Please go thru my blog-convert your images into PNG. I have provided some tips to reduce the size of the images. Overall JAR file should not go beyond 2 MB-that's what i feel.

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I agree. I wouldn't send in a 5MB file. That's inviting it to bounce/get lost. And if nothing else, it is a pain for the reviewers to receive.

My images were all in gif format and each was less than 50 KB. My whole zip file submission was 254 KB.

Rajan Choudhary
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you so much Jeanne and Ashutosh.

Actually my images were jpg. I created png and gif as well for the same image and noticed a significant difference (earlier I did not expect this much difference so went with jpg). A 200 kb JPG image came down to 42 kb in gif format and 55 kb in png format.

PNG format seems to far better in quality than gif so I am going with png format. I hope to bring my assignment under 1.5 MB for sure. I am sure, this thread will be helpful for many people.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic