• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Newbie here, advice needed

Ranch Hand
Postgres Database BSD Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello!, just coming from the OCPJP camp, and i thought of going on with certification especially in an area in which i have experience with. (but i have only done EJB 2.*)
The problem is i do not know how to proceed. There is the well known SCEA but i notice that there are other newer certifications regarding J2EE 6 like this one : JEE 6 EJB Programmer
I attended a presentation by Arun Gupta last week, in which he said that things are moving fast in the JEE arena. And i would better catch up with something newer than JEE 5.0.
What are your thoughts ?

Are there any chances that Java EE 5 Enterprise Architect gets upgrade to 6 ?

Achilleas Achix
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
bump..

anyone ??

Ranch Hand
Scala jQuery Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well you have 2 months to complete all 3 parts before you would have to pay to do an Oracle training course and as far as I know there are no plans to release a JEE6 version.

Achilleas Achix
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

will myers wrote:Well you have 2 months to complete all 3 parts before you would have to pay to do an Oracle training course and as far as I know there are no plans to release a JEE6 version.

Thanks, i know that and i guess nobody likes it....
My question is more market oriented.... what would be better for the CV?

Will Myers
Ranch Hand
Scala jQuery Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I don't think having Java 5 certifications will do you any harm, in the real world many projects are using 5 and older versions of JEE. Obviously I would do the latest certs available but I wouldn't sit around waiting for newer versions to come out otherwise you would never take any.

Maybe you should look at other certs besides Java? After the SCEA I'm going to look at the Oracle SQL Expert cert and maybe the JBCAA exam (JBoss admin). Most of the projects I have worked on involve either JBoss or WebLogic with some Spring (also requires training course now), web services, and either direct database access with JDBC or Hibernate/JPA.

So my list of desirable skills would be:
Spring
EJB 3
JPA/Hibernate
JBoss/WebLogic
Web Services
SQL - either Oracle or Sybase
Unix/Linux
Coherence - desirable in the banking world
Grid computing - also desirable in banking

Hope that helps!

Achilleas Achix
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks,

i would put (besides Oracle) PostgreSQL on the list as well : it simply rocks! Also i would put FreeBSD besides Linux. Market does not love it much but it rocks.

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What level of your career are you at? If you have less than five years experience, I wouldn't consider the architect exam yet. Five to seven years depends on your type of experience.

Also, please wait 24 hours before bumping a post. Many people check once a day due to time zones/sleeping/work/etc.

Achilleas Achix
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:What level of your career are you at? If you have less than five years experience, I wouldn't consider the architect exam yet. Five to seven years depends on your type of experience.

Also, please wait 24 hours before bumping a post. Many people check once a day due to time zones/sleeping/work/etc.

Hello i have 11 years of experience with j2ee, and 21 years with software/databases/Unix/C, etc... In some free SCEA mock tests, i did 50% with just what i already knew.
OTOH i watch all this Spring/Hibernate frenzy passing by and i feel i must do something about it.... I am really confused. (and that is because i can't see what SF/Hibernate can solve that traditional j2ee cannot, also i see SF is just a couple of jars on top of tomcat, not something like JBoss for instance, in terms of size and complexity)
Anyways, i saw a couple of good books about SCEA, is there any you would recommend ? Ok i saw your book reviews, but i am just asking about any other ideas as well. E.g. will the book alone be a sufficient resource?
Thank you a lot!

Achilleas Achix
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Finally i ordered this one :

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic