• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Whatsup!

Ranch Hand
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

Hey guys, sorry bout the slightly immature topic but I'm pretty DAMN glad right now!!!

I'm sure you've guessed why, I just got home after my first attempt at the OCPJP - and I passed scoring 93%!

I am HAPPY!

Lastly, thanks a ton to all you guys who take the time to answer questions and participate in discussions in this forum, I don't think I could have done it without you!

// Andreas

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Nice !!!
So, whats next ?

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Oracle Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hey Andreas!!...I Was SERIOUSLY suspecting that your exams was "imminent" like mine...I didnt know you were taking it today!...Thats a great score Congratulations

Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Congratulations Andreas. Good luck on your exam too Ikpefua, I hope this will be the last time you have to take it.

Andreas Svenkson
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Cheers guys

Well Rahul, for me the next thing is hopefully to find a job in java programming. I'm "originally" a construction engineer, but programming definitely feels like the thing I want to work with, so hopefully this certification will help me land a job in it and begin my journey

// Andreas

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Andreas Svenkson wrote:Cheers guys

Well Rahul, for me the next thing is hopefully to find a job in java programming. I'm "originally" a construction engineer, but programming definitely feels like the thing I want to work with, so hopefully this certification will help me land a job in it and begin my journey

// Andreas

Congrats, definitely the certification will help you land the job, but more importantly your own ingenuity and ability. It's is not that piece of paper that makes you a Programmer, it's the ability of the individual to approach a business problem from the programmer perspective. Cheers...

Ranch Hand
Netbeans IDE Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hey My friend ,,,

you have gotten such a perfect score,,, you should be proud of yourself,,,
would you please tell us how long to get prepared before taking the exam and how to study ?

Andreas Svenkson
Ranch Hand
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes, I am quite proud tbh, I was really hoping to score in the 90th percentile but never dared think it might actually happen

As for how long I prepared, it has taken quite some time for several different reasons, I started by taking 2 java courses at the end of last year. After that (and having realized the book used in the course wasn't very up-to-date), I bought K&B which I have been studying on and off with for about 5 months now. It's a great book to prepare for this exam with, I must say.

More than just reading the book though, I would say it is most important to make sure you understand what you read. For me that meant writing hundreds of small test-programs, basically testing anything I could come up with while studying a given topic - this type of preparation was for me extremely useful. Like the authors pointed out, it's by writing alot of test-programs that you learn the most, not just by reading about it.

As a last note, I would say making notes of the things you find more complicated is also very valuable. Some things are just easy to learn because they are logical and make sense, while others feel "clunky" in the way they work. Learning those "clunky" parts is what takes the most work.

// Andreas

Hama Kamal
Ranch Hand
Netbeans IDE Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Andreas Svenkson wrote:Yes, I am quite proud tbh, I was really hoping to score in the 90th percentile but never dared think it might actually happen

As for how long I prepared, it has taken quite some time for several different reasons, I started by taking 2 java courses at the end of last year. After that (and having realized the book used in the course wasn't very up-to-date), I bought K&B which I have been studying on and off with for about 5 months now. It's a great book to prepare for this exam with, I must say.

More than just reading the book though, I would say it is most important to make sure you understand what you read. For me that meant writing hundreds of small test-programs, basically testing anything I could come up with while studying a given topic - this type of preparation was for me extremely useful. Like the authors pointed out, it's by writing alot of test-programs that you learn the most, not just by reading about it.

As a last note, I would say making notes of the things you find more complicated is also very valuable. Some things are just easy to learn because they are logical and make sense, while others feel "clunky" in the way they work. Learning those "clunky" parts is what takes the most work.

// Andreas

Hi Andreas,,

many thanks for sharing your experience with us it's really useful,,, you are smart and helpful i hope you find the best Programming job
thanks again.

Andreas Svenkson
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
My pleasure , hope it can be useful to you Best of luck to you on your path to certification!

// Andreas

Ranch Hand
Netbeans IDE Tomcat Server Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Congratulations Andreas!
Good work.

Andreas Svenkson
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks, I appreciate it

// ANdreas

Ranch Hand
Mac PPC Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Congrats!

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
congratulations

To get a wish, you need a genie. To get a genie, you need a lamp. To get a lamp, you need a tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic