• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Query about thread priority mapping.

Ranch Hand
Mac jQuery Objective C
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Anthony,

I have been using Java from past 5 years. But I believe Concurrency is a common part of the Programming languages. I would like to know whether your book explain about mapping between C++ threads and Operating System threads priorities? For example in Java we have 10 priorities of Threads. But in case of operating system NT we have 7 priorities and In case of Solaris its 2^31 priorities(I am not sure about exact figures). I am not sure how Java map these priorities at OS level. Please let me know if your book has details on this topic.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

pawan chopra wrote:I have been using Java from past 5 years. But I believe Concurrency is a common part of the Programming languages. I would like to know whether your book explain about mapping between C++ threads and Operating System threads priorities? For example in Java we have 10 priorities of Threads. But in case of operating system NT we have 7 priorities and In case of Solaris its 2^31 priorities(I am not sure about exact figures). I am not sure how Java map these priorities at OS level. Please let me know if your book has details on this topic.

My book does not cover thread priorities. The C++ standards committee decided that handling of thread priorities was too varied across operating systems, so it was left out of the C++ concurrency facilities. As my book does not cover platform specifics, it does not cover thread priorities.

pawan chopra
Ranch Hand
Mac jQuery Objective C
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks!

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I agreed that thread priority mapping might not be an important topic to discuss in the book because each platform has its own priority mapping and it is very difficult to cover all platforms.

However that spawns another question. Although priority mapping does not need to discuss within the book but does the book provide an overview of thread preemption and thread starvation?

I think the understanding of thread preemption and thread starvation is an important topic that developers should understand when designing a multithreaded application.

Anthony Aj Williams
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Chun Chu wrote:Does the book provide an overview of thread preemption and thread starvation?

Yes, these concepts are covered, especially in chapter 7 with regard to the construction of lock-free algorithms.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic