• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Change in one module, needs rebuild of entire ear along with other unmodified modules

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have enterprise application which is a combination of many ejbs and war modules.
If i modify one module,i need to build the entire modules before building the ear. Whereas only building the modified module followed by the ear should be enough. I am using maven for build.

The issue that i'm facing is if i build only the modified module followed by the ear, the application deployment fails.

The jboss starts up completely,and immediately starts undeploying the modules.

Whereas if i build all the modules, the deployment is successful.

Can anybody please let what the issue is?? Maybe is there any build number or timestamp added to the modules??

author
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Ambrish, welcome to Java Ranch!

Let me see if I understand correctly. You are deploying the entire EAR. If the EAR contains some old modules and one new module, the deployment fails, but if it contains all rebuilt modules, then the redeployment is successful. Is that right?

My guess would be that when the deployer unpacks the EAR it notices that only one of the modules has been updated and thus updates only that module. Which means that any objects created based on the modules that are not updated are still in use and those might be handing on to old objects from the previous version of the module that was updated. Of course if all modules are updated, then all old objects would be invalidated and thus the issue is avoided.

This is only a guess. Posting the exception stack trace after redeployment might shed more light.

Also, does the redeployment fail even if you stop the app server, then redeploy, and then restart?

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic