• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Passed OCEJWCD 6 (SCWCD 6) with 85%

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
A few minutes ago i passed my exam with 85%!

Because there is very few information about the new exam i decided to put my story here.

Story:
I prepared a year ago by reading HFSJ 2nd edition book after work for 3-4 weeks but only scored 60% on final mock exam (never done anything with Servlets or JSPs before).
I was very disapointed about that score so i decided it will be too risky to take the exam without further preparation.
But i delayed further preparation when i heared of the new SCWCD 6 exam (now called OCEJWCD which was delayed several times).

Last week i decided that i will no longer wait for a preparation book for the new version and instead re-read HFSJ book.
I learned 5 days with an average of 5-6 hours a day, so 25-30 hours total.
I have taken alle mock tests in HFSJ book and all examulator summary mock tests.
I additionally scattered some blog posts for the new servlet 3.0 specification and took the Nullhouse Blog Mock tests (see SCWCD links section).
My Scores:
HFSJ Chapter Mocks: ~80% average
HFSJ Final Mock: 71%
Examulator: 80%, 91%, 91%
Nullhouse Servlet 3.0 Mock: only ~40-50% (but learned a lot because of the very good explanations!)

Topics:
As mentioned in another topic by another user, there are about 15% of the questions to the new Servlet 3.0 topics, focussing on web-fragments and security and nothing on deferred EL.
Because im not allowed to talk about the questions i of course cannot confirm this statement but i decided to rely on it for preparation
Actually there is no adequate study guide, blog psot or anything that will you prepare for all the new topics, so if you want to get a realy high score you will have to read the spec.
But you can get half the points related to this topics by reading some blog posts and taking the Nullhouse Blog Mock exam.

Hints/Advices:
So because im not allowed to tell you the topics and question details i can only give you one advice:
Read HFSJ 2nd Edition vom cover to cover and try to remember everything. Although the book is realy thick there almost nothing you could skip (and almost nothing missing for JEE5 part).
Dont let it take too much time to read the book, after 3 weeks of learning i already forgot several things from first chapters.
Perhaps read it twice, and try to read it the second time in not more than 5-10 days.
And dont be fooled by low grades in the final mock exam, if you get >= 60% you are ready, experiance of most exam takers here in the forum is that you score at least 20% higher in the read exam. You probably have to reduce this if you take JEE6 exam without preparation, but even 60% would be enought as stated before.
Another tip: Make sure you realy understand everything on security (old and new Servlet 3.0 part), it was the hardest part for me.

General Notes for JEE5 and JEE6 Version:
JEE5 Version calls Oracle Certified Professional, while JEE6 Version calls Oracle Certified Expert
JEE5 Version needs 72% while JEE6 Version only demands 60% pass grade
So JEE6 Version has a higher title (Associate < Professional < Expert < Master) AND its easier! (because of lower passing grade)
Even if you dont know anything about the new Servlet 3.0/JEE6 features it will be VERY likely that you will pass because of the lower pass grade.
Say you would make 75% on JEE5 exam, but you decided to take JEE6 exam and you can only make a guess for every question relating the new topics you will get at least the nessesary 60% needed for passing.
So i highly recommend to take JEE6 version.

General Notes for Prometric vs. PearsonVUE:
PearsonVUE doesnt support any drag&drop questions (as far as i heard - remember im not allowd to talk... )
PearsonVUEs test software is similar (but more modern and with some nice features) to Prometric, you will have no problems if you are familar with prometric exams.
PearsonVUE takes VAT on top of exam fee at least here in europe, this was not true for Prometric. So depending on your country overall fee increased up to 25%!
PearsonVUE makes an image of you in the testing center which is at least printed on your score report (dont know if its used anywhere else), so make sure you have taken enough sleep the night before

Preparation & Exam time:
You have 120 minutes to complete the exam and i finished after 50 minutes, so time is not a problem at all.
Even if you decide to review your answers (which i dont) you will have plenty of time.
I would say a preparation time of 30 hours at least is needed (25 hours solely for reading the book, rest taking other mock exams and perhaps some coding).
It doesnt matter much if you know anything about Servlets and JSPs, you will have to prepare for the exam anyway.

So whats next?
I submitted my OCMJD 6 (formerly known as SCJD 6) 4 weeks ago and still wait for the result which can take 8 weeks or even longer
Next i probably will take the EJB exam, at least i will buy an EJB 3.1 book.

Enthuware Software Support
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Congratulations!! Great score!

Did you see any questions on Custom Tags?

Thanks for the detailed feedback.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Congratulations!!

Did you encounter any questions on the below objectives of the Expert version of the exam??

More options for the Model
[ ] Understand the roles of JDBC and JPA
[ ] Understand the many elements that make up the model
[ ] Understand fundamentals of connecting to a database using JDBC or JPA

Asynchronous web applications
[ ] Understand the interactions that are essential to asynchronous web pages
[ ] Understand the role of AJAX-style client side programming

Web application security
[ ] Force the use of encryption between a web application and the client browser
[ ] Understand the role of JAAS in pluggable/extensible authentication for web applications

Apart from Head First Servlets and JSP and Sevlet 3.0 spec what else did you go through?

Christian Petry
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Because i took so many mock tests the day before, im not sure if custom tags had been on the real exam, but i would expect to see questions on this topic in the exam.

More options for the Model
[ ] Understand the roles of JDBC and JPA
[ ] Understand the many elements that make up the model
[ ] Understand fundamentals of connecting to a database using JDBC or JPA

Asynchronous web applications
[ ] Understand the interactions that are essential to asynchronous web pages
[ ] Understand the role of AJAX-style client side programming

Web application security
[ ] Force the use of encryption between a web application and the client browser
[ ] Understand the role of JAAS in pluggable/extensible authentication for web applications

I hadnt prepared for this topics because didnt expected to see this on an JSP&Servlet exam except i studied the servlet 3.0 mock exam questions about asynchronous calls (AsyncContext/AsyncListener) and i dont regret this decission.

As stated earlier i used HFSJ 2nd edition and Nullhouse Blog Servlet 3.0 questions.
Additionally i used the links provided in this thread (around 10th post):
https://coderanch.com/t/528601/java-Web-Component-SCWCD/certification/Information-OCPJWCD-SCWCD-CX
BEWARE: I had seen some blog entries based on the servlet 3.0 draft, as i remeber they changed some annotations in the final spec. Was it "Servlet" vs. "WebServlet" annotation?

I did NOT read the Servlet 3.0 spec nor i read any other spec. And i only scattered the blog entries about Servlet 3.0.
Total preparation time for the Servlet 3.0 part was 3-4 hours only (the last evening before taking the real exam). I was still somewhat unsteady on this topic, because there are many details to learn while i only tried to learn the big picture about the new features. I surely lost some points for not learning the details (like attribute names for annotations)...
My impression is that learning the new features in detail will take decend time, because there a several pitfalls, if you take the Nullhouse blog mock exam you can get your own impression
In my opinion its not worth the preparation time for perhaps 5% better total score compared to learning the main ideas/big picture in few hours. (and remember: your score is not shown in certificate!)
And as stated earlier: If you are prepared well for the "old" part there is no way you can fail the JEE6 exam even if you know nothing about the new features, because you need only 60% to pass.

Overall i would say this exam was WAY easier compared to SCJP 6.
Do you remember multithreading issues like deadlocks or your headache when trying to realy understand genercis? Relax, no such complex topics are on exam.
Remember you had to scan the whole code very closely to decide if it compiles for every question? Relax, most questions are realy straightforward.
But it depends on your learning skills. This exam is more about learning several things (like DD-Tags and allowed file paths) by heart while complexity is rather low compared to SCJP.

bhanu chowdary
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for your reply. Now I am not much worried.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Congratulations and thanks for sharing your experience.

Ranch Hand
Mac PPC Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Congrats!

Greenhorn
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Congratulations.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am planning to give OCEWCD by the end of this month. Since you stressed so much on the Nullhouse blog mock exams, I looked around for it but could not find anything. Does the site still exist or is it down now? Any help will be really appreciated.

Creator of Enthuware JWS+ V6
Android Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
check the ScwcdLinks and click on the Servlets 3.0 Mock Exam link

Regards,
Frits

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Congrats and keep up the good work

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ohh your feedback is really helpful, thanks a bunch man!
It's interesting to know that OCPJWCD exam is easier than SCJP, because in my experience the questions from the latter were so easy! (in comparasion to any other on the internet) The SCJP questions from Whizlabs simulator are much like the real ones ;)... someone knows if this is the same for the OCPJWCD 6 exam?, I'm not sure what simulator to buy, would you go for Whizlabs or Enthuware?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Guys,
Any book other than one mentioned here ?
(for 1Z0-899)

arulk pillai
Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Congrats and keep up the good work

MyExamCloud Software Support
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies