• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Table having large volume of data

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all,

I have to fetch data from a table which has about 10,00,00,000 rows.when I am running my program it is giving me Exception in thread "main" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

What can I do to avoid that?

Below my code is given-

VERTEX_TRF.ERROR_CODE_MAPPING(ERROR RULE) TABLE CONTAINS FEW RECORDS(ABOUT 50) WHILE VERTEX_TRF.RISK_STATUS_DATA (ERROR MESSAGE)TABLE HAS ABOUT 10,00,00,000 RECORDS,that means for one error rule resultset has to parse through 10,00,00,000 recods,seems like it has huge memory requirements......

Below given is exception trace-

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
at java.util.Vector.<init>(Vector.java:111)
at java.util.Vector.<init>(Vector.java:124)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleResultSetCacheImpl.put(OracleResultSetCacheImpl.java:62)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.ScrollableResultSet.putCachedValueAt(ScrollableResultSet.java:2392)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.ScrollableResultSet.cacheCurrentRow(ScrollableResultSet.java:2073)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.ScrollableResultSet.cacheRowAt(ScrollableResultSet.java:2090)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.ScrollableResultSet.isValidRow(ScrollableResultSet.java:2038)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.ScrollableResultSet.get_refetch_size(ScrollableResultSet.java:2192)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.ScrollableResultSet.refreshRowsInCache(ScrollableResultSet.java:256)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.SensitiveScrollableResultSet.refreshRow(SensitiveScrollableResultSet.java:187)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.SensitiveScrollableResultSet.handle_refetch(SensitiveScrollableResultSet.java:275)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.SensitiveScrollableResultSet.next(SensitiveScrollableResultSet.java:68)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.UpdatableResultSet.next(UpdatableResultSet.java:330)
at com.ankit.DB.DatabaseFetcher.main(DatabaseFetcher.java:48)

I am not getting any way to resolve this problem.How can I optimize the things..... >

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Its just the number of rows you are processing is large. Either you need to break the process into small parts or increase your JVM heap size to a unreasonably high size.

You do a to get the error messages with status = 2 only. Why don't you add this filter in the SQL where clause itself?. That will definitely decrease the number of rows returned from DB to java layer. I don't think any production system will have 10,00,00,000 unprocessed error messages . And you may also consider purging the processed error messages if you no longer need it.

Even if you manage to increase your jvm heap size to a very huge value, the current code will take a lots of time to complete. You need to fetch only the data you need from the DB.

Ankit Tripathi
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Sudheer,

Thanks for your post.As you have suggested I have applied filter(STATUS_ID) with two additional filters(BUSINESS_DATE & CONFIG_ID) in my SQL query,and now it's returning something about 10,000(max) rows at a time which can easily be stored in some excel sheet.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic