• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Thread got stuck?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have got a GUI design problem which I would get help on. Suppose I have an desktop app. The app has a main window(JFrame). In the main window, there is a JButton. After clicking the JButton, the app would run some heavy execution which may take one or two minute to complete. While the execution is running, the window and UI controls will become not responsible because the execution is running on the same thread with the JButton's action thread. Therefore I thought it would be a good idea to show a JDialog with a waiting message before starting the execution. When the execution has finished, the thread can close/dispose the JDialog waiting screen. The JDialog has parent of the main window so it can block off any input directly to the main window. The JDialog also has got its close button disabled so users are not able to close the JDialog while the execution is running.

Here is what I do (not exact code):

Now the problem is, the dialog comes up and the thread is waiting for the users to close the dialog to continue, but because the close button is disabled, the thread is halted. So basically the thread got stuck and runExecution() is never run!

I am just wondering how would an experienced GUI developer would write their loading screen. Personally, I think I could solve the problem by creating another thread to handle the dialog waiting screen, but I really want to avoid creating additional thread where possible. My app's threading is messy enough but just about manageable. I don't want to make it worse.

Ranch Hand
Hibernate Python Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sorry to disappoint you but there is no way to do this in the edt. Even if you do manage to show the dialog, the heavy duty code is still executed inside the edt in which ALL of the gui is drawn so it will become unresponsive until it is finished.
Use a SwingWorker at least thats what they are for. ;)

Bartender
Netbeans IDE Opera Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ever heard of ProgressMonitor?

Manuel's advice is correct, but maybe he forgot to mention that you must ensure that all GUI updates (i.e. Swing methods) are called on the EDT. If from a background Thread, that would be by wrapping them in a SwingUtilities#invokeLater(...) / invokeAndWait(...)

S Chan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ah! Both of your replies are inspiring to me! I should move on and experiment with these methods. Thank you.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic