• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Eclipse debugger

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
When you want to check your code what is the easiest way to get an overview of what is going on. For example the vlaues of variables the status of loops. I want to have a quick overview and see if everything is done as i ecpect it.
Thanks

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I print out values I'm interested in to see if they're behaving the way I expect them to. This approach is especially useful in loops to verify that the loop index(es) start with the correct value, that the loop terminates when it's supposed to, and that the values within the loop begin with the desired initial values and vary appropriately as the loop executes. I use Eclipse's debugger occasionally, but I find just printing the desired values easier, maybe because I don't know how to use the debugger that well.

author
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I use a logging framework and log such information at debug or trace levels. That is usually easier for me to see the flow of the application than to step through the debugger.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic