• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

LifeRay In Action Book Question

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Author,

We were exploring Liferay a while back and we decided to buy a book about Liferay (..currently there are not much book) but we were
dismayed since it just introduces Liferay and we didnt get ourselves much info since we havent coded anything.
I wont mention the book but I would like to ask you personally if this book would really jumpstart us into Liferay development and get ourselves wet into
feeling this portal?

We are currently checking between Spring Portlet and Liferay..would you mind mentioning anything between the two if you may?

Anyhow, good luck on your book and looking forward to reading it since there are not much book that discusses about Liferay whether I win or not in this promotion.

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Mark,

Yes; this book has been designed to take somebody who knows Java web development and turn them into a Liferay developer.

In fact, during development of the book, Manning thought I was going too slow and had me move some material into appendixes in order to get going with development faster. So some background information about portlets and IDEs and such now appears in appendices.

I wanted to cover several frameworks in the book (Spring, JSF, etc.), but I wasn't able to get to that material, and so I stuck with Liferay's MVCPortlet framework. This is really nice and easy to use, because it uses conventions rather than XML config files or annotations. So once you learn the conventions, you know how it works, and then everything works in the same pattern.

Hope this helps!

--Rich

Mark Reyes
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Rich, cant wait to read your book...
Good luck again!

There were millions of the little blood suckers. But thanks to this tiny ad, I wasn't bitten once.
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic