• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Mckoi database

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am working with the Just Java 2 textbook. In chapter 23 it gives directions to download the Mckoi database. I downloaded it and it looks like I only received 1 jar file. The book says there should be 3. It then says to go to c:\mckoil.0.2\demo\simple. The version that I downloaded is mckoiddb_1.2.02. Within demo, there is a folder named single. I can't find the SimpleApplicationDemo and I can't get this to work. What do I need to do? ACB

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Must be an age-old book; I think the McKoi DB project has been dead for a long time. You may want to use something more up-to-date, like HSQLDB. The JDBC code should be just about the same, except for some parameters.

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I checked on Amazon and the latest version (6th edition) was apparently published in 2004. Is that the version you're using?

A lot can happen in 7 years, especially in the computer programming business. In particular it looks like the Mckoi database people have changed how they packaged their product over that period of time. Which unfortunately makes that book rather obsolete.

Somebody with experience in the business could probably work around that and figure out how to deal with it. But you don't have that experience -- that's why you got the book, right? I hate to say "Get rid of that book and get a newer one", but that's probably the most realistic thing you can do at this point.

Arlene Bullerman
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Unfortunately, this Just Java 2 the book that is suggested for the lessons at the Cattle Ranch. I'll check out HSQLDB and see if I can get that to work. I was actually trying to get the Microsoft Access Northwind database to connect to MySQL so that I can work on learning SQL. I thought if I could get the Mckoi database connected that I could follow the same steps for Northwind. Thanks, ACB

Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
We suggest Just Java for the Cattle Drive because it covers the basics of Java in an easy-to-understand manner. The basics are still valid, even though the book is ancient.

I don't believe the Cattle Drive talks about the mckoi database -- we just use plain mysql, if I recall correctly.

http://www.javaranch.com/drive/jdbc/index.jsp

I'll ask around for suggestions for a more up-to-date book that we can suggest people work from.

Arlene Bullerman
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I don't know if the Mckoi database is ever touched by the Cattle Drive programs. I haven't gotten to that level. It took a very long time to get assignment 8 finished, and I'm really discouraged.
As I mentioned, I am trying to get set to learn MySQL. If you can recommend a book that teaches the newest version of MySQL, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks, Arlene

Katrina Owen
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Arlene, I really enjoyed the book "Head First SQL". It's not specific to MySQL, though if I recall correctly, the database they use in all the examples is MySQL.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi. I am using the same text book.
Here is the link if anyone wants it: http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload/Mckoi-SQL-Database-Download-673.html

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic