• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

running an application

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
What do I have to do so that the users can ran an application witout having to use the compiler. is this what har files are for? How can I make so that the users run the application with the click of a button without seen the code?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Giuseppa Cefalu wrote:What do I have to do so that the users can ran an application witout having to use the compiler. is this what har files are for? How can I make so that the users run the application with the click of a button without seen the code?

By putting your compiled classes into a Java Archive (JAR) file. You can think a .jar file is similar to .exe one.

Giuseppa Cefalu
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you! In order to run the jar file, could one put the jar in a folder on the VM that will be runnable by everyone, perhaps /usr/local/bin.

Giuseppa Cefalu
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I found this great tutorial on how to create, distribute and executing a JAR file. A jar file allows for the running of the application outside the IDE. Does this means that once in the jar any user without a compiler in his/her computer can run the program?

Minh Nam
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Giuseppa Cefalu wrote:Thank you! In order to run the jar file, could one put the jar in a folder on the VM that will be runnable by everyone, perhaps /usr/local/bin.

Can be anywhere.

Minh Nam
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Giuseppa Cefalu wrote:I found this great tutorial on how to create, distribute and executing a JAR file. A jar file allows for the running of the application outside the IDE. Does this means that once in the jar any user without a compiler in his/her computer can run the program?

Yes, as long as the user has Java Runtime installed and .jar file is associated with java launcher.

Giuseppa Cefalu
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks a lot!
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic