• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Understanding how to write spring ws using JAXB

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

As everyone introduces, I am new to webservice and need some clarifications/advice.

A little background:I created a UploadService. The purpose is to upload files/zip files from Client Server. What I did to create the ws is
1. Create a schema file (xsd) and generate the classes using the JAXB2.0. [Following the spring-ws and using Jax2b for marshalling the request]
2. In the xsd file, I have UploadFileRequest element, which contains the details of the File, which will be uploaded.
<complexType name="UploadFile">
<sequence>
<element name="name" type="string"/>
<element name="file" type="base64Binary" xmime:expectedContentTypes="application/octet-stream"/>
</sequence>
</complexType>
3. In my client project, I invoke the "webServiceTemplate.marshalSendAndReceive(request)".
4. Also I created an UploadFault class which extends java.lang.Exception. And I have the @WebFault Annotation to it e.g[@WebFault(name="UploadException", faultBean="UploadException",targetNamespace="http://www.example.org/UploadFileSchema")]. And set the UploadException object in its contructor along with some message.
5. The UploadException class is a bean for setting errorMessage.

Everything works fine and my files are transfered.

Now the questions:
1. Is using xmime:expectedContentTypes="application/octet-stream" , the correct/best way to do it? I tried using "application/zip" but it did not work as the DataHandler object contains the contentType as application/octet-stream (in the endpoint class).
2. When "webServiceTemplate.marshalSendAndReceive(request)" is invoked, what happens exactly? Does the request become a part of the SoapBody? I tried to debug, and found that the datahandler is passed as an attachment to the SoapPart. I am not sure here, how this method works, whether the request is a SoapBody?
3. When I throw a UploadException, from my ServiceImpl class. I do it the following way:
UploadException uploadException = jAXB_ObjectFactory.createUploadException();
uploadException.setMessage("Some Error Msg");
throw new UploadFault("Error in Validating File.", uploadException);
3.a) Now when testing for this exception, I expect that the exception thrown will be UploadFault at the client side. But the exception thrown is SoapFaultClientException. Am I missing some configuration? Do I need to add UploadFault to SoapFault separately?

Please help.

Thanks
Milly

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
http://jax-ws.java.net/nonav/2.1.4/docs/mtom-swaref.html
2.1 xmime:expectedContentType to Java type mapping

MIME Type/Java Type

image/gif
java.awt.Image

image/jpeg
java.awt.Image

text/plain
java.lang.String

text/xml or application/xml
javax.xml.transform.Source

*/*
javax.activation.DataHandler

If I understand correctly the above, should xmime:expectedContentTypes="*/*" work?

Have you tried to post Spring related code in Spring forum as you're using is SPRING-WS?

Milly Biswas
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the link... I will try to use the xmime:expectedContentTypes="*/*", it should work. Using application/octet-stream will be the content type of the Data Handler object in any case. But I will test the difference by using just xmime:expectedContentTypes="*/*".

And yesterday, I was able to clear my doubts. So here it goes...
1. Is using xmime:expectedContentTypes="application/octet-stream" , the correct/best way to do it?
Not sure yet, but will try the above mentioned suggestion.
2. When "webServiceTemplate.marshalSendAndReceive(request)" is invoked, what happens exactly? Does the request become a part of the SoapBody?
Yes it does. Initially I was trying to debug and find the content of the SoapMessage, but when I printed the SoapMessage to a file, I was able to verify that these request object we sent via the marshalling, becomes a part of the SoapBody.

NOTE: In order to print the request/response/fault object, I have written a custom interceptor class which implements the org.springframework.ws.server.EndpointInterceptor Interface and implemented the methods, handleRequest,handleResponse and handleFault. I invoke the following method from these individual handler method. Also in the spring-servlet.xml this custom interceptor nees to be included in the org.springframework.ws.server.endpoint.mapping.PayloadRootAnnotationMethodEndpointMapping.

private void writeSoapMessage(MessageContext messageContext, String fileName) {
try {
SoapMessage soapMessage = null;

if (fileName.equals("Soap_Request.xml")) {
soapMessage = (SoapMessage) messageContext.getRequest();
} else if (fileName.equals("Soap_Response.xml")) {
soapMessage = (SoapMessage) messageContext.getResponse();
} else if (fileName.equals("Soap_Fault.xml")) {
soapMessage = (SoapMessage) messageContext.getResponse();
}

File msgFile = new File("D:\\", fileName);
FileOutputStream fos = new FileOutputStream(msgFile);
ByteArrayOutputStream baos = new ByteArrayOutputStream();

soapMessage.writeTo(baos);
baos.writeTo(fos);

} catch (IOException e) {
// TODO Auto-generated catch block
e.printStackTrace();
}

}

3.a) Now when testing for this exception, I expect that the exception thrown will be UploadFault at the client side. But the exception thrown is SoapFaultClientException. Am I missing some configuration? Do I need to add UploadFault to SoapFault separately?

Well now my requirement has changed, i do not need to throw my custom exception to the client anymore. The client is ok with the SoapFaultClientException. I am still not sure how to achieve this, may be will test later.
As far as configuration goes, I did the following:
1. Create CustomException class, which extends RuntimeException.
2. Add @SoapFault(fault= FaultCode.CLIENT) annotation to it.
3. Add the following to the spring-servlet.xml. This will resolve the @SoapFault annotation mentioned above.
<bean class="org.springframework.ws.soap.server.endpoint.SoapFaultAnnotationExceptionResolver" />
4. Throw the CustomException, when required. And the spring-ws framework takes care of the rest. This exception becomes a part of the SoapFault. The exception message, will be the FaultString, and the fault code = CLIENT.

Hope this explanation helps other newbie like me.

It's hard to fight evil. The little things, like a nice sandwich, really helps. Right tiny ad?
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic