• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

How to host a GWT application outside Google App Engine (GAE)

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello,

I have created a GWT application and now want to deploy it outside GAE. I can package my application in a .war file as well so no problems with that.

I am a newbie in web applications and have got a couple of practical questions on where and how to deploy (or host?) a GWT .war outside GAE:

1- I believe I would need to rent domain hosting from one of the companies such as www.123-reg.co.uk and then upload my .war file onto their server via ftp, is this correct?

2- How can I make sure that my intellectual propoerty (IP) is secure on the company's server?

3- I would potentially want to have user authentication and sensitive data in my applcaiton, would I have to purchase additional services for these?

4- Would anyone have any suggestions as to which company to use?

Many thanks in advance.

Best,
Berkan

Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
#1: The specifics differ between hosting companies, but that's broadly correct.

#2: Are you worried about the system administrators of the hosting company? If you don't trust them then you shouldn't host with them. Or do you worry about external attacks on the server?

#3: What security measures do you have in mind? Using SSL might cost extra.

#4: I've noticed there's a list of Java hosting companies here: https://coderanch.com/how-to/java/ServletsFaq#hosting

Bartender
Android Google Web Toolkit Mac Eclipse IDE Ubuntu Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
1) It would mostly depend on the service provider (how they facilitate uploading files). But short answer: yes.
2) Your war file would be all compiled class files and javascript along with rudimentary html (I am presuming this, since you mentioned this is a GWT project. As far as my knowledge goes, the class files cannot be accessed directly (there might be some loophole which I am not aware). From that perspective I would say you are safe. However, you mentioned ..secure on the company's server... Do you mean the service provide when you say company? If yes I think it should be all there in the license agreement.
3) If you can share more on what you mean by user authentication (realm, LDAP, SSO), you might get more suggestions. If I am not mistaken, by law, sensitive data, should be inside a DB in an encrypted form. If you are using a pure GWT application bundled into a war, it is essentially just client side code. You will have to add the data persistent code (irrespective of encryption+DB) to it, if you have not already done so. The DB would also depend on the service provider. Not all providers offer all types of DBs.
4) Like GAE, Amazon offers cloud hosting. I am sure there are other service providers too. e.g. Java ranch is hosted on [http://www.evolutionhosting.com/pub/evolution.jsp]Evolution Hosting[/url]

Your question is not really GWT related. I will move it over to the General Computing forum for you.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic