• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Another double execution

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello guys!

First of all, I researched a lot about this problem and didn't find anything that would apply specifically to my problem.

Let me explain it. I have a project that uses Struts, EJB and JSP running on websphere (5.1.2). In a specific JSP page, there is a button that submit de request to an action. That takes a lot to run, about 2 minutes. My problem is that this action is being performed twice in an interval of 60 seconds between them. It is exactly 60 seconds, and always in the period in which the page is blocked, preventing any user action.

I already checked the most common errors in pages that do not contain the src tag, or '# links but they do not apply.

Anyone have any ideas to help?

Thanks!

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Is there a meta refresh tag on the page causing a refresh? What about script?

Have you used an HTTP monitor to see if the request has any clues in it as to who/why it's being generated?

Bear Bibeault
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
P.S. 2+ minutes is a long time (way too long) to make someone wait for a response. I'd recommend investigating an asynchronous approach that offers better usability.

Daniel Morgan
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Bear Bibeault wrote:Is there a meta refresh tag on the page causing a refresh? What about script?

Have you used an HTTP monitor to see if the request has any clues in it as to who/why it's being generated?

No, there is not. And the strangest thing is that this is only occurring for one user, and only in the testing environment. I run the application locally and this error never occurs on my server.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I checked the log, and saw that the request is initiated by a second thread, but contain the same data the first request sent.

Bear Bibeault
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sounds like something environmental to that one tester. Has he or she tried this in different browsers? From different systems?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,
Please use Firefox and download firebug to detect the issue.

Daniel Morgan
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sorry the delay, but I did interesting tests . First, I discovered that the problem is not in the browser of the tester. I took my computer with the same ear file deployed, and the error didn't occur. Then I checked how the system was configured on the tester machine and found that there the system is being directly deployed in websphere application server (I use WSAD).

But I'm not familiar with websphere application server configuration. My suspicion is that there is some service in some layer of the server that is storing the first request made, and submit it again after timeout. But I really don't know where is this configuration...

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Does the tester access the servlet via a proxy? I've had production issues where a proxy would re-request a URL if it took longer than a certain time period.

Ranch Hand
Android Mac OS X Firefox Browser
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Matthew Freake wrote:Does the tester access the servlet via a proxy? I've had production issues where a proxy would re-request a URL if it took longer than a certain time period.

I second that!

We are facing problems with a new proxy that hogs the request. When using the dev-net we are accessing directly to servers and databases but on the test-net they use a local-fw -> proxy -> net-fw -> dev-net.

Temporary solution was to add the dev-net servers in "no proxy for...".

Daniel Morgan
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I finally found the error. It was in the websphere application server configuration. I really don't know almost nothing of the WAS configuration, but after a lot of research in the IBM manuals, I found out that there is a ServerIOTimeout parameter used for failover, which according to the manual resends requests before start the failover. The default setting is 60 seconds, and this is what was causing the problem.

Weird or not? I doubt that I was the first one to have duplicate requests because this parameter...

Anyway.. thank you all!

Doe, a deer, a female deer. Ray, a pockeful of sun. Me, a name, I call my tiny ad ...
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic