• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

My turn - passed today!

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Thanks to this forum and also the great K&B books I passed my OCPJP earlier today.

I spent two months revising casually (around 90 minutes every other evening) then booked the exam two weeks ago. Had to ramp up the study quite a lot and in the last week I was doing 2 - 2.5 hours each evening (which unfortunately coincided with some very busy periods at work, so it really zapped my brain)

I had set aside a lot of mock exams to run through before sitting the exam, but the looming date took away a lot of my options so I wasn't able to spend as much time sitting the mocks as I would have liked.

My learning approach
I started reading through the K&B book slowly, spending a lot of time on each chapter and taking the questions at the end of each. This was a bit discouraging actually, as I'd finish a chapter, take the questions with full enthusiasm, and then still see myself getting more questions wrong that I was happy with. This probably took a good 10 weeks or so.

Once I got to the end I accelerated the study by reading the material again from start to finish, moving over the concepts that I was sure I knew and spending more time on the trickier concepts, or memorisation of the bigger API's.

One week before the exam I moved onto some mocks. I don't recommend leaving it this late, but I had some time pressures as I am going on holiday soon and really wanted to gain certification before I left. Otherwise I'd have probably spent 3 weeks + doing mocks and continual revision.

Again, due to time constraints I didn't actually complete a full mock exam, so I would typically complete 20-40 questions (skipping drag and drop and other materials off scope) and then check my scores. I did around 30 questions from the MasterExam CD (K&B book) and scored around 65%. Did around 20 questions on ExamLab (~55%) and the night before the exam I did around 40 questions from the K&B OCP practice exam book, scoring in the high 60's.

Based on all that, I scored 88% in the exam. Obviously I don't know which ones I got wrong, but I didn't see a great deal of obvious obfuscation or sinister questions so yes, the real exam is a lot easier, and markedly so. In fact, after a week of answering tricky mock questions I was becoming very agitated about having to scour through every single line of code for tricky errors. I was very thankful that a large percentage of questions posed did not include the 'compilation fails' option, so once I saw a question without that answer it becomes easier and quicker to answer. There were still a few however, but just a few.

Thanks to the helpful community here, and good luck to anyone taking their exam in the coming months.

Sam Hazim
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Oh yes - forgot to mention - I mistakingly omitted any learning of Threads (as I thought they had been bumped off scope). I found out five days ago (that wasn't especially good news to me!). I'd have been a bit surprised when I saw my Thread questions today, but thankfully I got them all correct.

Don't make the same foolish mistake I almost did!

Sam Hazim
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Can anyone tell me what literature I should expect to receive from Oracle, and how long it should take (I'm in the UK)?

Sheriff
Android Google Web Toolkit Hibernate IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You'll get your certificate in 4 to 6 weeks. It also contains two other documents (might have changed since I cleared) which contains some info about the certificate and how you can download the SCJP logo...

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic