• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

SOAP concept a bit confusing

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi i read soap is basically XML encapsulated in HTTP. But it states at http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/tutorials/ws-eclipse-javase1/section9.html

web services use XML to code and decode data and SOAP to transport it using open protocols.
SOAP allows applications to communicate with each other regardless of which operating system they're running on and what programming language they were written in.

So i am a bit confused?
Q.What is open protocols ?
1)What is SOAP ? is it a XML enveloper transfer over HTTP protocol ??
2)Do web services communicate only through Http ??

Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Open protocols are protocols that have open specifications that can be implemented by anyone; HTTP is one such protocol. (If what you quote is taken directly from that article, then that article is not correct; SOAP is not the only way to create web services.)

SOAP is an XML dialect used for implementing web services. It *can* be transported over HTTP, but there are other mechanisms as well, although they are much less commonly used than HTTP. For more information see SOAP.

Note that SOAP is just one way to implement web services, and no longer the most popular one - RESTful web services have become very popular in the last few years.

*Web* services generally use HTTP, that makes them *web* services. It's possible to write services using other transport protocols, though: raw TCP, SMTP, messaging, ...

Rajesh Khan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for the great answer. Correct me if i am wrong web services communicate though http. if they did through any other protocol they wouldnt b caled webservices rite ??

Tim Moores
Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes, that's how the term is commonly used.

rubbery bacon. crispy tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic