• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

removing a painted component via paintComponent leaves a residue

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
hi new mates, its just my first time, here. hello. i hope i cant state my ideas properly.

im about to create a , you can say a complex GUI, which will have tons of animated and customized Components such as Panels(panes) Buttons etc.. , and as of now, im on the start, trying to create a sliding looking pop window made from JPanel, by using Thread handling, i manage to make the panel 'appear' just like what i want, it slides from a certain point up to the desired dimension, via paintComponent and some Thread tweaking(well im not sure if what im doing is efficient or proper ), i was able to do the task, the problem is on 'removing'. for a certain command like 'click' , the 'window looking JPanel' will be removed vice versa of how it appeared, when i try to remove it, the code that i wrote REMOVES the 'window looking JPanel' but at some point it LEAVES A RESIDUE(a vertical line), while i was trying to look for some bugs before i jump into another task i stuck up with this one,, ill post the code below so it can be tested , this is as short as it goes, i hope it dont bother too much

the main class

the CustomDialogPanel - the panel that is used to portrait a pop window looking component

the only questions i got right now, despite of how i search with the help of google friend is that,
1.) why does it leaves a residue of the panel?
2.) even though i try to remove it from its parentComponent , why does it still leaves a residue?

// EDIT
when i try to minimize the window(hide it), then show it again, the residue disappears

Sheriff
Eclipse IDE Spring VI Editor Chrome Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Add super.paintComponent(g); as the first line of the overridden paintComponent method.

Ned Perez
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
the problem still exist.

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
1) Dont call your class Window. There is an AWT component Window which is confusing.

2) Don't use updateUI(). Instead use reapaint() to tell a component to repaint itself.

3) Don't use a Thread. Instead use a Swing Timer to schedule the animation. This will make sure painting code is execute on the Event Dispatch Thread.

I tried running your code but I don't understand how to use it. I clicked on the panel and a painting occurs from the top/left to bottom/right. I couldn't figure out how to remove the painting so I don't see a residue.

Ned Perez
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
i forgot to tell what is the goal task of the program, a click event will trigger the window(JPanel), it will actually trigger if some components will be clicked(i.e button or something clickable) but as of now i just directly added a mouselistener to the frame to test the opening of that JPanel window. so regardless of what part of the frame ill will click the window(JPanel) will slide(open), a dummy button on the top-left most part, will test the closing of the window-panel,

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic