• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Deployment of Web service war created using JAX-WS

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I am beginning to learn jax-ws web services. I have got a hang of the annotations to use, how to create a webservice. however i am very confused regarding the artifacts required for successful web service deployment as a war file.

According to this http://jax-ws.java.net/nonav/2.2.1/docs/UsersGuide.html#3.1.1.2_Create_a_WAR_file_to_deploy that i have been following the following artifacts are required:
WEB-INF/sun-jaxws.xml
WEB-INF/web.xml

and I was able to deploy a webservice successfully using the above advice.

However there have been certain books, which mentions that sun-jaxws or web.xml file are redundant. We can simply run wsgen on java code, package the wsdl and deploy it as a war.

However my attempt to do the same has resulted in an error in web logic server. The error being:

javax.xml.ws.WebServiceException: Runtime descriptor "/WEB-INF/sun-jaxws.xml" is mising

My question is what are the exact files required for deployment on web service in a war.
And i would also appreciate if it can be elaborated what entries are required on these files.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi!
I have no experience with WebLogic, but in GlassFish, which contains the reference implementation (Metro) of JAX-WS, you do not need neither web.xml nor sun-jaxws.xml, you just need an annotated web service endpoint implementation class. Even the artifacts you mention are generated by the server, when the web service is deployed.
Take a look at the following tutorial: http://netbeans.org/kb/docs/websvc/jax-ws.html
Some old version of WebLogic also used Metro, I've heard, but I do not know about the newer versions.
Best wishes!

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic