• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

MSAccess database in my application Regarding

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

My application is a single user, stand alone application. I just want to use access database for this. Of course, there are many java related databases for this purpose which are better than access. I have searched for the details of access database and jdbc-odbc bridge driver in sun's websites, google and in this forum also. So many people are suggesting that access is the last case to use. Luckily mine is single user application, with single connection to the database, and perfectly matches to my requirement.

At last i have a question in my mind about the bridge driver. Is the bridge driver will be a bottle neck when the table rows in access database goes in the order of thousands?? please add any points if i have missed regarding the access database to your answers.

Thank you.

Ranch Hand
Android IntelliJ IDE Eclipse IDE
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I you are not finding any documented test results on using MSAccess databases, you can perform your own tests. You are probably the best judge of whether the performance is acceptable for you.

Build a test app to insert/modify/search/delete records and take time measurements of each operation with a wide variation in the number of records affected.

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Of course it's a bottleneck -- in the sense that the data is constrained to go through it and you have to wait while that happens. But that is true of all databases, so really, asking whether it's a bottleneck is rather useless.

However perhaps the question you really wanted to ask is "Is Access combined with the JDBC-ODBC bridge driver going to be fast enough to satisfy me?" In which case Keith Rainey has already provided a full answer to that question, I believe.

sriram krishna
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you.

Try 100 things. 2 will work out, but you will never know in advance which 2. This tiny ad might be one:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic